Rhinomarine3d and a sailyacht with a flat bottom

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arvy, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Hi all,

I have been fiddling around with RhinoMarine3d the last couple of days (using the evaluation version) to find out if it fits my needs, but there is one thing that bothers me about it. Every hull is try to design using the sailboat hull wizard leaves me with a V-bottom hull, I would like to design a roundbilge (with a flat bottom) but it seems impossible.

Anyone any ideas how to realize this with RhinoMarine en Rhino?

I have also tried out Free!ship, but i think there are too little parameters to control the shape before it is generated (while most hull forms can be perfectly parameterized), so i have to do to much manual changes of the control net (this is also the case in Rhino).

Thanks for your replies.

Arvy

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

These programs will not design a boat for you. They will, however, take your parameters and provide you with a starting point. It is up to you, the designer, to shape this as you would like.
    If design were as simple as plugging numbers into a program, all boats would look alike.
    Steve

3. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply, I know you are right about that these kind op programs don't design a hull for me and shouldn't either. And indeed all boats would look alike (well at least the hull would) the superstructure will be different for each boat. But the shape generated gives a good starting point.

Most boats I have seen (or at least the one I like to design and build) have a flat bottom, and this is just something I miss in RhinoMarine. The only way to realize a flat bottom seems to be to manually make it flat. As i am not yet proficient with Rhino (I am an autocad guy) I find it very hard to get the bottom flat. So I was more wondering how to get it flat easily, is it a parameter I missed or do you know a trick in rhino to get the shape flat a the bottom? To me it seems the only possible way is dragging the controlnet around and that is too much freeform sketching to me (as an autocad guy).

Furthermore, is there a way to extend and trim a surface to a vertical plane with an Y-coordinate of 0? I have tried to insert a vertical plane, at Y=0 and them filleted the shape of the hull to it, but it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

If you or anyone have any tips, please let me know.

Grtz,
    Arvy

4. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Arvy,
    Dragging the control net around is what it is all about! As an ex-A'cad guy, let me assure you that Rhino is the closest to AutoCAD you will find in a 3D program. Do not be bashful about trying things - all you have to lose is the arrangement of some electrons :)
    Steve

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

If you want how you want the midship section it's normally better to draw it yourself and then use the Loft command and the "nudge" to it's the way you like it.

However, you can make a flat bottom hull with RhinoMarine "sailboat wizard".

Attached Files:

6. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Hi Raggi_Thor,

Thanks for your reply, i will be trying this tonight, and let you know how this worked out.

Greetings,
    Ronald.

7. Raggi_Thor

Good :)
    I must add that I like the prelimenary hydrostatics in the wizard dialog.
    It's an easy start for a new boat, entering some parameters and see the rresult immediatly.

8. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

RHINO 3D marine plug-in

Hello,

How is the marine plug-in is it a complete package? Meaning it will be a complete design platform need not use other program to compasate the design?

I know you need a few program to find the advantage previously. I am still waiting the new version and looking for people try out the new system for potential short coming and bugs.

Thanks

9. Raggi_Thor

Student, I don't know :)
    "Complete" is a relative word.
    If "time is money" you will buy all extra tools that saves some time or makes the work easier. For smaller projects, I think just Rhino may be enough, if you start with a pencil sketch or a clear view in your mind. Rhino Marine simplify hydrostatics and generation of lines (sections). FreeShip is also great for initial hull design.

1 person likes this.
  10. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Hi Student,

I must agree with Ragnar, I find RhinoMarine very handy for an initial draft of the hull and generating the sections (a great tool even for doing this). But I still find it difficult to change the shape of the hull by just dragging around the controlpoints, or trying to add another surface and loft it to the generated hull (but then again, i am still not at all proficient in rhino.. but learning).

The hydrostatics are a good feature of rhino and they help when designing.

In my case I will have to be using another platform for finishing of the design (all construction parts that will have to be cut by a cnc laser cutter).

So it all depends on what you call complete, rhinomarine doesn't do vpp or any other hydrodynamics for non-planing vessels (i am not sure wat the analysis modules does for planing vessels as i am not designing a plaining one).

But then again, if Rhino does all the things you need to do, then you can call it complete ;-)

Hope this info helps a little bit.
    Regards,
    Ronald.

1 person likes this.
  11. Raggi_Thor

I export the sections from Rhino to dxf/dwg and then make the working drawings and cnc files in BricsCad, a low cost AutoCAD clone.

12. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

I also export the sections and the hull surface to dwg and then use autocad to make the working drawings. But I also use autocad to make the sections fair and create the expansions of the hull in.

Finally I use bysoft software to nest the parts and then create the cnc code (including the marking of the sectionlines on the hull plate etc) also by bysoft (this is software from the manufacturer of the lasercutter).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.