Rhino + what?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Willallison, Sep 1, 2003.

1. VasGi

VasGi Guest

Rhino+dst

I agree with you about rhino anf phaser
    I use them too with very good results although rhino3 hal a lot of bugs(v2 was way more stable) but what about damage stability
    I tried to export files from rhino in gf (ghs) format for autohydro but seems to have problems
    neither deadweight nor autohydro(modemaker) seem to read them well so I think rhino is the prob
    special prob is at the sensitive area of bullbus bow where seperate slices of bulb and stem keep joining with unwanted lines messing up the bow profile
    any suggestions on extracting properly a hull (polysurface) on rhino3

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

This problem is most of the time is related to the actual bad translation of GHS from Rhino, I really don't bother trying to export it directly I use other software for that, but there is other reasons that makes your ghs fail, you have to make sure that your surfaces are nicely joined, and make sure that you have no bad surfaces and check the direction of them if all this is right then should work "most of the time", but I will buy the GHSview software is cheap and you can repair the models coming out of rhino, there is other applications that can do that but this one is fairly cheap and do the job.

3. VasGi

VasGi Guest

polysurface gf

the hull is made by a simple loft
    I dont know if the deck creates the problem
    or mirror.
    by the way how do you change the direction of the isocurves (station slices)?

4. CGN

CGN Senior Member

There is no way to change the direction of the isocurves once you save or export as a GHS, the only check you can do is the direction of your surfaces, so is really going to happen, your isocurves or sections some of them will be inverted, so again you must repair the GHS file out of Rhino, my best recommendation will be to get GHSview, is cheap and like I said you can "repair" the GHS file, you can download it form their website and use it for 30 days that will give you the chance to see if it really can repair your model the way you wanted.

Let us no how it goes

5. VasGi

VasGi New Member

prop

thank you I ll do that.
    I might have solved the problem by working with half hull
    create a line in the middle with dupedge end then straight extend of the surface in the transverse axis. its bot the best solution for designing lines but for hydrostatics it does the job done.
    by the way have you worked with any good propeller design program e.g. propcad

6. CGN

CGN Senior Member

No, the propeller manufacturer take care of that, is really painfull, and that is something that i really don't need to do, propcad is too expensive and the only way i can truly make use of something like that is if i'm actually building propellers.

glad that you are getting closed to find a soution to your problem, there is a new plug in from deadwight you mention something about it, but if you haven't seen it the plug in is to save ghs from Rhino with some repairing of the file, is on the rhino website or the deadweight.

good luck

7. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I'm Baaack!! :D
    Currently, I'm only using Rhino as a means of getting my stability etc data - ie, I import a hull as an IGES model and run it through Phaser.
    Now I want to pull out a table of Offsets - anyone got any experience with RhinOffsets? Is this the only option? And as I only have an IGES surfaces model of the hull, how easy is it to get offsets for stuff like chines, sheer etc?

8. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

9. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

yeah, thanks Gary - I'll download the demo tionight. I was really just wondering how easy it is to get the numbers if the hull wasn't produced in Rhino in the 1st place...

10. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

I like Rhino, but I've been reluctant to use the (unroll developable surface) command. The availability of plate development plug-ins makes me think there is something deficint with it. If I take into account the plate thickness, Is there any reason not to use it?

11. CGN

CGN Senior Member

no, there is nothing "wrong", the plug-in (Expander) will help you develop double curvature surfaces, there is many users using the regular expansion settings of rhino, but remember just developable surfaces only.

12. b_safa

b_safa Guest

<Message deleted - we can not allow discussion of pirated software on this forum.>

13. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

I'm sure HydroComp Inc will be just delighted to hear this. I guess you are unaware that you are advertising illegal goods?

14. rdickins

rdickins New Member

Rhino limits

I here a lot of good things about Rhino but everyone seems to use it in conjunction with something else. What are the limits of Rhino? Can I design interior structure with it? Can I do piping layouts? What does Rhino do well what does it not do well?

15. CGN

CGN Senior Member

As many other software you are probably able to do anything on rhino it all depended on the user, but.....I don't think is the best to handle piping layouts, or just plain 2D CAD, Rhino does well surfacing, one of the best on the market, it does well translation of many files, it woks fine with most MCAD software's, and handles very good information for milling and CNC cutting, is not a code writer, but you can produce information that can be easy for any CAM software to read, and avoid painful translations, limits?, 2D drafting, maybe size of models....some don't like the way it handles polygons, but that is mostly people that uses rhino for animations and artistic renderings, for me works fine, but the use is different, now related to the marine area, requires a plug in for hydrostatics, and a plug in for plate development, the plate development built in is good just for developable surfaces (up to V2), and requires a plug in for rendering, IMO this are not really big disadvantages it gives me the chance to choose what I need, I don't really like the render engine of flamingo, for the price I opted for carrara pro v4, it cost me less than flamingo and it does better IMO.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.