Rhino Marine 3D and resulting flotation plane

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arvy, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Hi all,

I was just fiddling around with the hydrostatics module of RhinoMarine3D, and I was wondering how to interpret the Resulting Flotation plane which can be inserted when doing the hydrostatics calculations.

I have a fully closed model, and the righting arm curves seems to look good, but after doing the calculation, the resulting flotation plane is inserted in the drawing. This flotationplane is at a hight of about 1950 from the origin (which is just below decklevel), while I set the waterline to be 640 above the 0-plane.

Can someone enlighten me with how to interpret the resulting floatation plane (I have added a screenshot).

btw I did set the option that the model was a full hull (as I mirrored the right side so i could easily construct the basic deck).

Grtz,
    Arvy

Attached Files:

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Maybe the the units are not correct..and check the weights

3. snakefeet

snakefeet Junior Member

Also try setting the inital waterline height well below where you expect the DWL to be. I mean put it at half or a quarter the height that you think DWL will be from the baseline. I don't know how or why this is, but I have seen it work several times before.

Also check the signs; does the hull extend longitudinally into +x or -x territory?

4. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Hi Snakefeet and CGN,

I did check out the options you mentioned, and they were correct, but I know did find out what is causing the resulting plane to be way too high. The resulting plane that is seen is based on the last angle of heel in the list, in my case a heel of 180 degrees. Which means.. the plane seen is the plane when the boat is upside down, in that case, this plane seems to be correct.

Thanks for the replies!

grtz,
    Arvy

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.