Retail cost of a mast

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by airturb, Nov 14, 2004.

1. airturb

airturb Junior Member

Hey

I'm wondering...for a 26ft. standard mast, with standard parts...not too many bells and whistles, what is the approximate price??It's to be used for a 22ft.boat.I know it will vary with the x-sectional shape, but a ball park range.

Thanks.

2. airturb

airturb Junior Member

Or is there possibly a website someone would recommend, because from what I've seen, many of the websites have mast extrusions of all sorts, but don't have the prices. The only site that does, that I've found is Dwyer aluminum masts.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Most manufactures want to provide the best stick for the buck and this can only be provided with firm dimensions, planned needs, etc. It's very difficult to give accurate quotes on a given stick, without an idea what it will be on, what will be hung off it and it's intended use.

An all out racing machine's requirements will be very different then a well burdened cruiser's, hence the difficulty getting generalized pricing.

Provide any of the manufactures with the desire to purchase and they'll send a form that will need be completed (can be done on line or over the phone) for an accurate price schedule.

For that matter I can provide you with the information and a stick if interested. Email me your rig dimensions and the boat it will live on and I'll work up a price.

4. airturb

airturb Junior Member

Well, the problem is I'm designing a mast for my thesis project, and I don't have the intention of actually buying. That's why I've been trying to get the info. on my own. The mast is going to be for the YD-40 that larsson and Eliasson describe in "Principles of yacht design". If you can help in any way, it would be highly appreciated.

Artur.

5. mistral

mistral Senior Member

something like 1600€ here in Italy, 20% VAT excluded, for a 27' mast including spreaders, all fittings, halyards, gooseneck, boom, reefing lines, mast step, stays and shrouds. It's a 3/4 fractional rig for a 20-footer sportboat. I think you can achieve better prices......
    Hey, guys on the other side of Atlantic, how much will you pay it in your country????

Mistral

6. 249

249 Guest

I pay a couple of hundred bucks. For that, I get an old Etchells 22 mast. On a knot-per-buck basis, second-hand gear from major OD classes is the only way to go. Beautiful mainsails that have always been carefully rolled, never flogged or folded, cost about $250 and drop straight on.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The problem is the details and this is typical for engineering. How much loading have you figured on? The resulting wall thickness? The sectional shape you require? Spreader count, tang location and other rig details aren't needed for a price per foot, but the section desired and wall thickness must be.

I would think the effort in developing the skills, doing the loading calculations, designing the rig's details would include an understanding of the concepts, if not a reasonably accurate guess at the section shape and wall thickness of the different materials used in mast construction. You should open "Principles of Yacht Design" again . . .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.