Restore project

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by pcmpete, Apr 23, 2009.

1. pcmpete

pcmpete New Member

1970's Ski Boat Restore project

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum and boat repair work, but I have plenty of wood and fiberglass experience behind me.
    I have the offer of picking up this boat for $150 complete with motor and trailer.
    The motor is a V4S-V4SL-13, johnson 1961 (75hp) and the boat is a 16ft fiberglass hull ski boat from the 70's. Is this boat worth the time and effort to restore.
    The wooden part of the transom needs replaced and the center stringer needs replace too. Those are my two main concern areas.

Plus, does anyone know what the make and model of the boat?

I am looking for expert advice on this one.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi pcmpete, welcome aboard boatdesign.net :)

Question: Does the engine run? (Don't try to run it out of water- if it works now, it won't work after being run dry for long.) If the engine runs, it's worth at least a few hundred bucks.

The trailer alone is worth a hundred or two, maybe a bit more if its tires and bearings are in good shape and its lights work.

The hull looks to be in very bad shape. It looks like most of the interior wood is rotted out, the transom is definitely shot, same for what's left of the stringers. It looks like it has already undergone at least one round of failed repairs- the old sleeper-seat bases rotted out and replaced with folding bucket seats, what may have been waterlogged foam chipped out from around the bilge sump, etc.

At this stage, the hull's value is negative- roughly equal to its weight multiplied by the local landfill's tipping fee. But the motor, trailer and anything else that's still in useable condition would add up to well over $150. So if you think you can part it out for a profit, or use the components in another boat, it might be worth going for. At this stage, I don't think it's worth trying to repair the hull unless you're really sentimentally attached to it, or really love the smell of liquid epoxy.

3. pcmpete

pcmpete New Member

thanks for your comments, if i was to undertake this as a project, what would be the procedure for replacing the transom and stringers? Can they be removed without damage to the hull?
    I don't mind getting my hands dirty if I will end up with a nice looking boat (and cheap).

I am still trying find out what the make/model is.

Thanks again

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.