Restoration of one of the Most Important Sportfishers ever Built!!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by IdaMay, Feb 5, 2008.

1. IdaMay

IdaMay New Member

I love reading stories about classic yachts, their histories, and (hopefully successful) restorations. That's why my best friend and I took on the restoration of the Ida May, a 1926 46' sport fisher, once the pride and joy of Stan Laurel (of Laurel & Hardy fame). We've documented every step of our restoration (which is ongoing), and we aren't embarrassed to say we often get in over our heads. We've also gathered a ridiculous amount of history, with entertaining stories of movie stars, tycoons, and even a U.S. President fishing the waters of Catalina. Ernest Hemingway was inspired to write Old Man and the Sea while on the Ida May. The Ida May was once the fastest motor yacht in the world and hit 35 knots in 1926!

If you want to take a break for a few minutes, come take a look at what we've put together and visit our website. We would love your feedback and suggestions!

You can visit the site at http://www.idamay.org

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Hi Steve or Bob (You didn't say who you are),

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the link to Ida May. That's a great story, she has quite an interesting history.

There is some dispute about the inspiration for Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea; the story I have heard is that it was the result of his days aboard his own sportfishing yacht, Pilar, built in 1934 by Wheeler, and that Cpt Gregorio Fuentes, his fishing captain, was the "Old Man". Based on the timeline, I would guess that his experiences aboard Ida May may have inspired his having Pilar built. Since the story was not written until 1951, it was probably based on many years of fishing.

Ida May certainly had an interesting history. The restoration is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the story.

3. IdaMay

IdaMay New Member

Hi Charlie!

Charlie,

In response to the dispute about the inspiration for Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea...Yes indeed Hemingway was inspired to write this beautiful story published in 1952 during his days fishing in Cuba on his launch Pilar. And yes the story is probably based on many years of fishing. But, a man named Willard Van Brunt the first owner of the Ida may left a lasting impression on Hemingway. Van Brunt was eighty years old when Hemingway graced the decks of the Ida may. Young Hemingway was in his late 20s.

I think it is important to give you a little background. Industrialist and Philanthropist Willard Van Brunt was founder of the largest farming implement company in the world and became founder and President of John Deere Van Brunt and Co - later to become Deere and Co. Van Brunt was a past President of the Tuna Club; well known to be the founding club of big game sport-fishing. Van Brunt, a fishing legend, close friend of Pres. Teddy Rooselvelt, also had the likes of Pres. Herbert Hoover aboard the Ida May on a fishing expedition. Take a look at the website to find newspaper clippings regarding this story. http://www.idamay.org/HerbertHoover.html

Be patient as I explain.....

If you ever get a chance to read a great fishing book of short stories please read "Fishing Behind the Eight Ball" by Harlan Major, note the Ida May and Van Brunt is mentioned starting on Page 21.

This is a true story that Hemingway was well aware of about the venerable 78 year old Van Brunt who fought a behemoth of a Broadbill Swordfish for six hours on the Ida May. Let me share of few passages.....

"The wind and the sea were gaining, the fish were still unworried, but the angler, although giving all he had was weakening. By this time, it was dark and now the spray cutting into the face of the fisherman had turned to solid water. The fifth hour passed, and the fish was still the master of the fight. In another hour - the sixth - cramps made the angler all but helpless, and as he started to slump his captain cut the line. After ten long years, Van Brunt had had his chance and , due to conditions beyond his control, had failed....Van Brunt lifted a tired arm in farewell and called after the fish, "Go to it, old boy! You've earned your freedom." There were tears in the old man's eyes when he told us of losing the fish. He had waited so long for a chance.

Two years later, however, when he was eighty, fate relented and this sportsman took a 306-pound broadbill."

Hemingway’s days on the Ida May with eighty year old Van Brunt were quite an inspiration. Imagine a frail old man battling marlin twice his size. Van Brunt a parallel to Hemingway’s main character, Santiago, in Old Man and the Sea is no coincidence. Fictional Santiago, an old man whose physical existence is almost over was a man who despite his age never gave up hope. Non-fictional Van Brunt was also this man. Van Brunt actually died eight years later at the age of 88, while aboard his launch the Ida May slipping and suffering a hip fracture. Van Brunt's death was published in every major and minor newspaper in the United States. Time Magazine wrote a story. Heck, even Will Rogers wrote a column..."If every man was only a Van Brunt...."

Van Brunt's abrupt death while on his fishing cruiser was shocking to some. Sad you may say, what a beautiful story we say. Van Brunt was just doing what he loved most fishing off his launch just praying for a nibble. No better way to die. Just ask Hemingway. What an inspiration. Hemingway took note.

Thanks for the kind words and thank you for giving us the opportunity to share this inspiring story.

Bob and Steve

www.idamay.org

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Thank you Gentlemen for sharing with us a magnificent story and a lovely boat well restored by true craftsmen and God bless your efforts.

5. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Bob and Steve,

Thanks for the additional background on Willard Van Brunt. I'm sure he was a part of the image of Hemingway's Old Man; going after big gamefish in his 80's and dying while doing what he enjoyed ... not a bad way to go.

Again, the restoration of Ida May is excellent.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.