resin stick to resin.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Frosty, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

No not really,--Im still unsure If I should use epoxy resin or polyester .

Further on the buffing fibre wheel---I cant get one, well not on Langkawi island would a wires brush wheel do the job?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'd use epoxy, just because it sticks better. Again, surface prep is the key to a good bond in both resin types. Use whatever it takes. I know a guy that likes to and blast highly textured surfaces to get a good bond down in all the nooks and crannies. The idea is to "tooth" up the area, with a moderate scratch, say 80 to 100 grit for best adhesion.

3. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Again, I would not bond such large structures to a gelcoat surface, abraded or not. Sand it all away until you hit glass.

4. PAR

Agreed Herman, but if I understand the issue properly, he has a layer of polyester losing it's grip to a substrate and he'd rather not grind down all the texture, just to rebond it. Ideally, he should grind back to good mat and start again, but in this case and to save effort, I think a good scratch and epoxy will work better than polyester. Post some pictures Frosty, so we can see what's going on.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Here is some photos thank for your help.

Attached Files:

6. PAR

As Herman has pointed out, gel coat is a lousy substrate to bond to and it appears this is proving the point, unless they just tried to bond to paint! In both instances, you're best advice is to grind off the fabric that's coming up. Yep, I know this sucks, but you'll have hell to pay trying to re-bond this back down with any real chance of success (lousy location to try to clean up). In other words, you'll never get anything in between the delaminating fabric and the boat, to sufficiently clean it up and provide enough tooth for a good bond.

You may have some luck with a multi tool and get a blade under it and pop it off, which will save a lot of dust, itching and heartache. Once off, you can prep for a new piece of fabric properly.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The fabric comes off real easy as demonstrated with my fingers under it. If I just slide a chisel under it it cracks of.

It is not paint it is the finish of the roof of the inside.

Grinding that off with a 16 grit 4inch t would be awfull inside such a small space and its 90 degrees today.

I think i'lle consider suicide!!!

8. PAR

I think a multi tool could get the applied combo fabric removed from the underlying substrate. A chisel is a good start too. You wouldn't have to grind the substrate too much, just enough to insure you have enough tooth, then epoxy down what you want.

9. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

While gel coat isn't an ideal surface to bond to due to the lack of fibers and the added fillers, It looks as if this would have worked had they prepped the surface...at all. It looks like they just glassed over an unsanded surface, or at least mostly unsanded.

Stick a small long blade of some type under a loose section and see if you can find a point where they actually sanded the surface and did get a good bond. It's not uncommon for someone to sand an area thinking it was large enough and then use a larger than needed layup that covers more than what was sanded, over time the laminate lifts off the un-prepped portion. If you find a point where they did sand then you can use a multi tool or another device to cut along that line. This will get rid of the bad stuff and may not require more glass work.