Rescue Samson Post Location

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Coongle, May 11, 2011.

1. Coongle

Coongle New Member

Hi
    We are looking at a tender for a small Tow / Rescue boat 20' / 6 m LOA
    Vessel is outboard powered 150 Hp with an OB well so we are mindful that we need to clear the outboard. The tender requires the samson post to be as far forward as practical to enhance maneuvering around the stricken vessel.

Can anyone shed some light on this as far as their experience with similar Vessels in this range and type?

Attached is a photo of a sister vessel we intend to use.

Cheers Coongle

Attached Files:

• 1200.jpg
      1200.jpg
      File size:
      119.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. Dean Smith

Dean Smith Previous Member

yes well normally your samson post would be well forewards, but you have structural issues and tow cable will sweep cockpit So I would take the tow on a bridle from side decks as far forewards as possible
    You can easily bracket (gusset knee) under the side decks and use a bridle say 15 feet long with a quick hitch onto the main cable

3. Coongle

Coongle New Member

Thanks Dean,

We will try this out asap and see if the Crew are happy to use a method like this.

Cheers Coongle

4. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

The best way IMHO is to tow with cable fastening around the engine or with a bridle attached to OB bolts. This way there's no excess stress for the hull stuctures.

5. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

The only really good way to tow is with a samson post forward of the motor or rudder, if its an inboard. Using a bridle helps a bit but still steers the tow boat which can be very troublesome in close quarters. Firm orders to the person in the towed boat to follow in the track of the tow boat is absolutely necessary if the tow is attached the stern of the tow boat, bridle or not. The bridle on the side decks idea may work but is likely to catch the motor or something else or even somebody. Good in an emergency but no substitute for a well placed samson post.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

An arch over the motor with a towing cleat may work. That boat has a high freeboard, so it wouldn't need to be too tall.

7. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

This is how it's done on O/B powered RIBS. Like Gonzo said, an arch over the motor(s). And like Tom said, if the tow attachment point (samson post) is forward of the motors (rudder) the tow vessel will have a MUCH easier, safer and more maneuverable time.

In the picture note the reel of tow line and the arch.

Steve

Attached Files:

8. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Thou you may do your towing anyway you like it might be illuminating to draw the force vectors and figure out how they affect. Having a samson post is the way to go... for a vessel with inboard engine.. towing with OB is different..

9. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

This is all good advice you've received.

I have many hours operating a 500Hp OB rescue tow boat and a 42 foot commercial tug.

One word you should be more than familiar with is "girding".

Good luck.

-Tom

10. Dean Smith

Dean Smith Previous Member

hiya Tom
    when I was at sea on the Chippy T in North Sea, I can see the burn on the galley bench, the coffee pot, all the crew were on deck as the cable swept over the deck and killed a man. I was not aboard at the time
    Only thing I would say here is
    Make sure there are no iron hooks on the rope end and look after you quality rope

11. Coongle

Coongle New Member

Samson Post Drawing

Thanks for the info from all of You

I am very happy to have with the feedback.

The drawing attached is what we are considering now.

The removable arch might be fixed with a hinged section to aid the access to the man overboard ladder.

thanks for all the good advice and photo's

Cheers Coongle

Attached Files:

12. Coongle

Coongle New Member

Samson Post

Thanks Keysdisease,

After viewing your posted photo I can see we may be better to shift the arch aft justs forward of the transom. I am sure some trail and error is needed before we can safely say this is 100%

Cheers Coongle

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  13. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Looks very good to me.

14. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I would suggest that you sweep the arch further back over the outboard. The attachment to the deck would remain in the same place, but the arch itself would be better with a continuous and gentle curve. I've had experience with little 'stubby' arches like that and the rope tends snag on the uprights before 'popping' over the bend.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.