repower with Cummins 6B NA or 4BT Turbo 4

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by powerabout, Mar 12, 2008.

1. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Guys

I am looking at repowering a 42 trawler that has 120 Lehmans.
    I would prefer to use Cummins but I can choose 6B or the 4BT, either would have ok power.
    What will the cruise fuel economy look like with;
    a) either 6 or turbo 4?
    b) on one engine with the other windmilling.
    c) what does the engines power curve versus the prop curve look like when comparing the 2 for a displacement boat?

Thanks in advance

Powerabout

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Some Cummins fuel consumption data here (page 7):

http://www.cmdmarine.com/PDFs/4081938_1104.pdf

At 130 vs 120 HP, the 4BT seems to have an slight edge in fuel consumption. In the boat, that edge should increase, as it also has a 200kg weight advantage.

For the rest, find the Cummins Marine distributor for your area; they should have access to that data.

3. charmc

charmc Senior Member

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

u used to work for cimmins years ago, I also used the 4b a lot is sailing yachts
    I would use the John Deere teir 11, 4.5
    Why
    cos it a wet linered engine, seize a piston and its easy fix one piston one liner
    same as big engines
    The 6b engines are fine engines dont get me wrong, but the Deere has(here) a very significant price anvantage The Deere is happy to run at 1400 , or 1200 all day, or 2600, there are three ratings 1,2,3, 120 --135 bhp depending upon hours per year

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.