Removing rear deck and continuing cabin to stern.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by HCB66, May 17, 2020.

1. HCB66

HCB66 Junior Member

I've been looking at old sail boats. I wondered if you could just get rid of the rear deck aria and continue the cabin to the stern. I want to get rid of the tiller and put a wheel in the front of the cabin, more like a power boat or car. I'd like to run the main and jib sheets into the cabin and install the winches there so that everything can be handled from inside the cabin. The idea being to sail in colder climates and in bad weather without water washing into the stern of the boat.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Hello HCB,
    Do you have any links to any boats that you have in mind, re possibly converting them to make them more suitable for colder climates?
    Rather than buying a traditional open cockpit sailboat, and spending a fortune 'converting' it to what you want, it might be better to look for a pilothouse / motorsailer type instead?
    You can do an advanced search on www.yachtworld.com - at least I hope you can, it will not allow me to. But I can do an advanced search on www.yachtworld.co.uk

Here is a search for motorsailers / pilothouses / deck saloons in the USA, over 30', and up to US$60,000.
    What is your budget?
    (Sail) Deck Saloon Boats For Sale https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/listing/cache/searchResults.jsp?cit=true&slim=quick&ybw=&sm=3&searchtype=advancedsearch&Ntk=boatsUK&Ntt=&is=false&man=&type=%28Sail%29+Deck+Saloon&type=%28Sail%29+Motorsailer&type=%28Sail%29+Pilothouse&fromLength=30&toLength=&fromYear=&toYear=&fromPrice=&toPrice=60000&luom=126&currencyid=100&city=&spid=&rid=&cint=100&pbsint=&boatsAddedSelected=-1

3. HCB66

HCB66 Junior Member

My budget I have to take what I can get and do the work myself. I'd upload a pic but I can't find a way to display it here. One icon is just for a link and the other takes me to some other place , has a bunch of fields to fill out etc. So no idea how to do that.

redesigne.png

4. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Click "Upload a File" under the reply area and you can attach your own jpg photos to your post.
    If the photo is on another website, post the link instead. (please only attach photos that are your own or that you have specific permission to post here.)

<Edit: Sorry, I see it now -- added to your post above.>

5. HCB66

HCB66 Junior Member

I can see it now to, thanks I guess I had to refresh the page.

6. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Don’t forget that part of sailing your vessel safely is having a good view of your sails, telltales and rigging, and of course oncoming waves, vessels, an other obstructions or impediments.
    The view through the windows of a typical sailboat is very limited.
    Raising the cabin roof may help, but will open up a different can of worms.
    Bajansailor offers legitimate advice, and there are some pretty good deals about lately, and posted prices are always negotiable!

7. HCB66

HCB66 Junior Member

I'd have to make sure I could see, probably add a window some place . Viability in front would improve since I'd be looking out the front window. I'm still looking at boats so it' s just a thought. It would give a lot of inside room though it would make a 27 or so foot boat like a bus inside.

8. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Ok, re budget, would it realistically be closer to $5,000 or $30,000 - or can you maybe go beyond that?

Re your two sketches above, the second one suggests to me that you could maybe consider an aft cabin boat instead?
    It would then be much easier to enclose a centre cockpit rather than an aft cockpit.

Here is a 30' S2 9.2C centre cockpit sloop -
    https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/s2-92-c
    And here is one for sale in Florida for US$ 9,900 -
    1984 S2 9.2 C Center Cockpit for sale - YachtWorld https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/s2-9-2-c-3528434/

Or a smaller S2 - the 8.2C is only 26', but she has a lot of room down below for her size.
    https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/s2-80-c
    Here is one for sale in Vermont for $6,000 -
    1978 S2 8.0c sailboat for sale in Vermont https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/85394
    You could perhaps fit a couple of portlights in the forward side of the superstructure, and then you could still have a helm position forward as shown in your second sketch. You wouldn't even need an extra helm station as such - you could keep watch from there when it is cold and steer with an autopilot remote control.

Here is a copy of the catalogue for the 8.0C, including some interior photos -
    S2 8.0 Meter Center Cockpit https://sites.google.com/site/s28metercentercockpit/

9. HCB66

HCB66 Junior Member

I'm in the range of about $4,000.00. Very old boats from the 60's , 70's and 80's. But I know how to do the fiber glass etc. I prefer an old boat that I can work on as well since I like to tinker and invent. I've got my own ideas. By the picture of that sloop I 'd say my idea has been done already though. That's exactly what I was thinking.

10. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Yes it can be done. It is not different from having a hard dodger and bimini.
    It is not cost effective on an old 27 boat, but that is not our problem.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Where in the USA are you?

12. tlouth7

tlouth7 Senior Member

The famous transatlantic sailor Blondie Hasler modified a folkboat called Jester to remove the cockpit. He also made her junk rigged as this rig requires less sail handling.

Note that sailors of this type of vessel do not have wheel steering, they rely on automatic steering using windvanes. In the middle of the ocean you don't have to change course very often.

If you wanted to sail the boat from the bow you would also have to run all of the control lines there which seems pretty pointless, why not have the wheel near the stern?

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Do you want a free 1976 O'Day 27?

14. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Good luck Gonzo. Has he checked out?

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Seems like he disappeared.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.