Removing hull from forms

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by nero, Aug 29, 2005.

1. nero

nero Senior Member

How much internal framing is needed to keep the shape of a strip planked hull? I need to get the outside glassed before cool weather arrives.

I will add the stringers and floors (9 mm plywood). If I add a keelson then I can not lay glass across the center joint.

The photos show the bulkheads with notches for the stringers. The hull half is laying on its side. This is a catamaran hull.

Thanks for any comments

Attached Files:

2. crawdaddy031

crawdaddy031 Junior Member

Bump, maybe someone will have a good answer for you. Question tho, what is your reasoning for such a large number of stations? LOA?

3. crawdaddy031

crawdaddy031 Junior Member

To add, I like your model. Very good design of shape I think. Have you filleted your bulkheads? From a purely amatuer POV I would believe that shape would be retained by the glass on the inside.

4. nero

nero Senior Member

Being an amature myself;

I set the forms at 50 cm spacing because it made less of a chance that I would screw up when setting them. (dislexic sometimes)

LOA is 14.5 meters. LWL 13.8 meters BWL (of one hull) 1 meter

I have added 2 stringers. one at the DWL and one 20 cms up from the DWL. Figured that if I hit something floating this is where the loads will build up at. I wanted to add the keel and keelson before lifting it out. Decided it will be better to do that when the halves are already joined.

No one with advice?