removing cabin on 28' pontoon boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Guest, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi everyone,
    If there is anyone with the insight to tackle the project of removing a fairly small cabin on a 28' custom cabin pontoon.
    The helm is inside the cabin and the cabin is so small that it does nothing more than obstruct the view while underway and limits fishing space. I hope that the removal will reduce weight and drag without compromising the structural integrity of the vessel. What precautions and steps do any of you recommend?

Thanks for any time anyone has to offer.

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Pontoons structure will remain sound with the removal of the cabin walls and roof. A friend of mine recently did this with great success. If your cabin is centered on the deck, there should be no problem. If it is one of those with the head on the opposite side, as my friend's was, that structure will also have to be removed to balance the weight. Either way, as long as the decking is not disturbed, the boat's structural integrity won't be effected. Do a "test float" when you're finished to ensure the boat floats level when you're finished, and re-arrange deck furniture as necessary to balance the boat. This furniture (on my friend's boat) was just screwed to the deck, and easily moved. Hope this helps:D

3. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Your main concern will be the control cables. Their length and location, the way they are routed into the cabin.
    What motor do you have? The dealer sells kits to shorten/lengthen the controlls. Is the helm console seperate from the cabin. Will you want it to remain in its present location?
    Will you put a top back on? Fixed or fold down type??
    West Marine sells complete pontoon furniture

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.