releasing wax--anything else

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Frosty, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I am about to make some fibre glass sheet. I have just aquired an old pane of glass of approx 2foot by 4foot. I will now clean it up and polish it.

My intentions are to just roll out some polyester resin with matt onto this glass and hopefully pop it off when its set.

As I live on a desert island 'almost' releasing wax is not available,--what ever that is,--however I have furniture wax /polish, candles, WD 40, margerine, silicone spray, Butter etc etc, car wax??

What do you think I could use as a substitute?

1 person likes this.
  2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Rain-X will work, so will some of the things on your list. Try a small test sample first, if you're not using gel coat then you don't need to worry about fisheyes, as most of these will create terrible fisheyes.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I am not sure what rain-X is.--Is is that stuff that you put on windsreens if your wipers are stuffed?

I will not be using gell coat, and this sheet will only be used underwater for some boxing and will be antifouled eventually.

Which one on the list do you think would be easiest to use then? I put about 4 thick coats of Johnsons furniture wax on the glass and have not wiped it off yet. I am not sure if I am supposed to. I was thinking that the thicker the coat of wax the more likely the fibre glass would 'pop' off and not stick.

4. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

johnsons floor or furniture wax will work fine, rub a nice heavy coat on and wait 15 ins and wipe off the excess ,allow to dry say 1 hour and then buff it with a clean rag, 4 or 5 coats should do u but allow a couple of hours brtween coats. its the shine or gloss that helps release the part some people think a thick layer of wax will work as a barier , this is not true, the styrenne will eat the wax. another thing to use instead of pva is glove in a bottle

1 person likes this.
  5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thank you gentlemen for you help. i went ahead and fibreglassed a strip and after a hour or so I was impatient and had a pick at it. It seemd to just come straight off even though it was not set, still wet really. any way I pulled it off and laid it in the sun----easy.

The Johnson wax seems to be pretty good. Ille even try buffing it to a shine next time!!

6. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Yes, Rain-X is the stuff you put on your wind screen.

7. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

Rain x is the way to go used it for years on my glass laminating tables