Relation between skin friction and speed

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hprasmus, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I beg to differ. In either case of a planing boat, sailing yacht (even super tankers), skin friction is the last holy grail.

friction resistance small craft.jpg friction resistance yacht.jpg

oataru likes this.
  2. hprasmus

hprasmus Junior Member

Hi Terry, I think that you are right on all pionts! However these test results are based on one of the best established universities in Europe. So I take the results as a basis for further calculation.

Unfortunately the friction/speed issue was not part of the first test. Our problem in the briefing obviously.

I think I will stop this communication here. Please look at PER's reply above and you will know why.

Anyway thanks to all well intended commends.

Thanks - Henrik

3. hprasmus

hprasmus Junior Member

Reply to Terry

Hi Terry,

I have replied to you privately also, because I am not used to the tone of voice used by some of the participants here. However I wish to contribute a little more before I close down this chat.

The issue seems to have been boiled down to the following:

How much (and for how long) will my product reduce friction on a given surface?
    The easy answer would be to try a known 'body' e.g. a surfboard with and without the coating.

However I am representing a small start-up and I can not afford these experients.

To those who doubt the integrety of the Tech. University of Munich I hopwe that you sometime get a chance to visit them!

I will finish here by stating that all test persons are very satisfied.

All the best - Henrik

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Don´t give up too soon.

All the comments have been well intended, though many have not been in line with your preconception!

Asking for experts advice or opinions takes the risk to receive experts opinions and / or expertise!

Nothing wrong with that.

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I think it would be far more constructive to share more info on the tests. A technical report perhaps, or at least a brief description of how were other tested surfaces prepared/coated. What is the "Competing product" in the graph?
    That single published graph really tells nothing technically useful, only creates more doubts. You need to understand that, before getting angry.
    Cheers

6. hprasmus

hprasmus Junior Member

Hi Apex !. How would you feel about having this thrown at you?

Are you asking these questions in hope that someone with do the math for you, or to supplement your lack of understanding on the hydrodynamic issues you seem to desire ignoring, as you attempt to tease with your non-disclosure announcement?

7. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Hej Henrik

Tonen her kan fra tid til anden blive lidt rå. Det skyldes bl.a. at vi har været udsat for en del fra f.eks. studerende, der vil have os til at lave deres opgaver for dem, eller amatører, der ikke vil tolerere andet end total opbakning bag deres ofte fuldstændige forkerte ideer. Den slags skal du ikke lade dig gå på af.
    Men hvorfor har du valgt at lade produktet teste i München? De er jo ikke ligefrem kendte for deres forskning inden for skibsdesign og -konstruktion. Hvorfor ikke bruge Instituttet for Skibs- og Havteknik på DTU?

And to the rest of you: Sorry for using Danish! I basically expressed what Ancient Kayaker said. And then I asked why Henrik chose the University of Munich and not another with more experience in shipdesign - maybe here in DK:

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Oh I have seen PAR´s post.

I would not feel fine if that was addressed to me, sure. But I would ask myself if the approach was the right one, to cause such response.

9. hprasmus

hprasmus Junior Member

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Hasn't anyone seen a fisherman breaking in his new lure before . . . pleeeease, if there was anything to offer, it would be out there, because someone with the moxie and money would be pushing it, not some broke amateurs fishing around for clarification and adulation. This is pure bait fish, cast net stuff. I've signed many non-disclosure agreements in the past. Naturally, I didn't go on a fishing expedition while under the restraints of such an agreement either. What good could possibly result from tossing a naked hook in the water and why would someone under a non-disclosure arrangement want to do this other then to toss out fake chum for entertainment sake?

11. hprasmus

hprasmus Junior Member

Hej Søren, Send mig venligst et tlf. nr. Du har fat på noget rigtig, og jeg HAR været i forbindelse med både DTU og FORCE Instituttet.

Med venlig hilsen - Henrik

12. hprasmus

hprasmus Junior Member

Dear PAR,

I have kindly asked the moderator to cut you out from this otherwise fruitful chat. Stay away if you have nothing to contribute with. I have seen a few of your designs and the last thing you would know anything about would be friction. Fine, stay with what you are good at and leave the rest to more forward looking folks!

Henrik

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

Ingen problemer Søren!

Henrik

Der er ingen anden Djævel til, end den, vi have i vort eget Hjerte. ;)

That was too much dear!

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What has been fruitful in this thread, your unexplained, unsubstantiated revelations that of course can't be disclosed or even reasonably contested? Why did you post about something you couldn't discuss?

15. hprasmus

hprasmus Junior Member

Moderator. Are you out there ? Kindly cut this person from participation in this otherwise serious chat