Reccomended Production Boats 14'-18' LOA

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by mackid068, Jun 18, 2005.

1. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

I'm not open ocean, it's just the Long Island Sound during nice weather in the summer. Bayliners, I have heard, are sort of the "cheap" alternative (cheap meaning low quality). DC models, how about Arima 17' models? Anyone know about them? I've looked at the Sea Ray, it seems alright, has enough freeboard. But, again, it's nice conditions I plan on going out in.

2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

3. mackid068

Alright. I'll TRY to give up on the little bowriders (except the self-bailing ones) but I'd like to have comfortable seating for 5 or 6, including myself, and that seems hard to find without going to a bigger boat or getting a bowrider.

4. KCook

KCook Senior Member

You have to hunt around for them, but there are a few saltwater models with a bench seat in the rear. Which will give you your 6 person capacity. Example: Sea Pro Fish-n-Ski

Kelly

5. mackid068

So the Arimas don't seem saltwater-worthy?

6. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I expect Arimas are used more in saltwater than fresh. Although their 17 does not mention any self-bailing feature -
    [​IMG]
    In theoy you could pack 6 people into the 17. But it would be awkward for anybody to move about. Plus the boat would be at max load, and be a dog to run. Rent this size boat, pack 5 of your friends into it, and see what I mean.

Kelly

7. mackid068

Well, 6 people total. Maybe 3 kids (under 100 lbs. per) and 3 adults (under 200 lbs. per person)

8. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Good point, 3 adults plus 3 little kids is a very different equation from 6 adults. Still, any 17 is a veddy small boat for big water, even for just 2 people. If budget is the problem buy a big used boat instead of a little new one.

Kelly

9. mackid068

Budget's not the issue, fortunately. It's slip size. I have a slip for a boat between 8' and 18' (give or take an inch or two).

10. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

11. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Wow! That is one serious looking top Ragnar!
    [​IMG]

Kelly

12. pattyp56

pattyp56 Restored Ski Supreme

Boston Whalers are great small salt water boats. You can by a older one with a newer motor for a decent price. They hold their value. They are "Unsinkable" I grew up playing with 13'-18' Whalers.

13. mackid068

Yeah, but with the size restrictions I have, the most comfortable whaler I can use would be the Dauntless 160. No seating for passengers.

14. pattyp56

pattyp56 Restored Ski Supreme

I was talking older versions than the Dauntless. The 17' Montauk went virtually unchanged from the early 70's to the late 90's or 2000's. With an optional bow cushion seating for 6 is easy.

The smaller Outrages they made in the 80's & 90's is better in rough water. They made a 17' & 18'. Hard to find. My dad still has a 17' Outrage.

15. mackid068

Looked at the Montauk, freeboard seems a bit lacking. The Dauntless is what I really want, but I feel kind of guilty about not being able to take friends out on a comfy boat, but rather on a fishing boat when I don't even fish. Though this WOULD be a good excuse to take up fishing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.