Realy realy dumb question I think

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Frosty, Nov 4, 2011.

1. cor

cor Senior Member

Thanks for the correction on the Trabant info.

2. lumberjack_jeff

lumberjack_jeff Sawdust sweeper

3. colfar2

colfar2 Junior Member

What about using the stuff you use to waterproof your roof with we call it flash harry

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Jeff, considering the effort that went into Splinter design and the projected result, it's a bit heavy for what it is. I could have made that car, exactly the same shape and dimensions with knitted 'glass fabrics for about a 1/3 reduction in weight and if employing some high tech fabrics, likely half it's weight. Don't get me wrong, it's clever engineering, but again heavy for what it is, which is the whole point behind composite structures, to improve the strength to weight ratio.

Colfar2, I'm not sure what your roof waterproofing is, but typically it's asphalt based tar, reinforced with, wait for it, . . . 'glass fibers.

5. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

I am attaching the material properties of natural fibers compared against glass fiber.

Notice that most of the fibers have elongation characteristic that is closer to polyester resin, that is 1.5 to 2.5%. Non postcured VE and regular epoxy has about 3% elongation and Postcured VE and EP about 3 to 5%. That means Poly is more suited to natural fibers and as PAR said, reserve the more expensive resin to exotic fibers.

Problem is, these natural fibers are not yet commercially available. Years ago, I designed a boat using natural fibers. The numbers looks promising because it is lighter with the fibers at almost half the weight of glass. Jute sack is no problem as it is readily available but the high strength pineapple type fiber, the strongest, was so expensive as it is being used as clothing. Hemp cloth was available but was so coarsely woven that it would eat too much resin.

It is not on the mainstream yet. Maybe in the near future.

Lastly, here is a picture of a boat made of flax.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.