Rapid Global Climate Shift and its socio-economic effects

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Boston, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

and I yours. did I mention projection. Cause I'm positive you have no idea of my "situation"

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Here's one of mine... from inside the boat shop:

[​IMG]

After finding several set up between my epoxy drums and in various places around the shop, I bombed it.

It's weird. I'm an outdoors kind of guy, but never saw a black widow anywhere until I was in Florida. The grasshoppers here also could carry away a cat. :)

[​IMG]

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I've been in Florida, the spiders seem to develop a whole new attitude once they hit a certain size. Kinda like the bugs in the Senoran desert. They just kinda turn and look at you as if to say;"are you sure you want some of this"

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Roasted they will meet your protein needs, el SeƱor Saltamonte.

5. Bamby

Bamby Junior Member

It seems some here like to work with figures, or at least work with a lot of charts they borrowed someplace else. :D

As of the moment I've got both electricity and natural gas plumbed into the home-place. Now it seems to me natural gas shines for anything really needing heat, cooking, hot water, furnace and the like. Electricity is pretty efficient for things needing power but not necessarily heat.

Now what would the overall efficiency be should we attempt to combine things a bit. Suppose I plumbed the natural gas to a fairly large generator, one at least big enough that's its closed loop water cooled or rather needs a radiator.

Now it's a bit cool outside and the nights are longer so I'm needing more heat and lighting. Let's suppose the genny is sitting right outside the house and I've taken the initiative to mount one of it's radiator into the plenum of my furnace. We all know a running motor produces a lot of surplus heat that must be removed. So I'm reckoning that maybe on moderately cold days it may even heat the house.

Our electricity here is generated with that nasty black stuff that the big O hates so bad. The generator will provide me with more than enough electricity for my needs plus a surplus to sell back to the power co. reducing their need to burn any coal to supply power to me and maybe a few neighbors. And I figure I'm maybe getting the best and most efficient utilization of the actual resources that provide me comfort.

Now does anybody know if it's a net carbon and financial saving overall or another Hoyt moment.. :D

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

If you moved the gen set into the house you'd end up more efficient still. I see this done a number of times. If you want an even better plan I built a house for a guy in Boulder that had two 4000' wells drilled under it. the guy used some kind of heat exchanger I'd never even heard of before to use the hot water to heat his house.

If he went deeper he could have used steam to run a gen set.

oh
    and it depends on where that electricity was coming from, a coal fired plant, nuclear, hydro electric?

There is really no reason at all given the state of drilling today that just about everyone could have a deep water heating system in there house.

7. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Don't even need to go that deep to get benefits of geothermal,if you go down 2-3 meters or so the earth stays about 15C all year round. Have a 100 foot trench,and you can run water pipes through that with a small pump and it really helps.

As well,passive solar with the proper overhang works wonders.
    Active-build a 3m by 3m solar collector with a small fan and you'd be surprised what it will heat.

Have a gen set? Run the cooling water into the concrete slab via the proper tubing in the garage/house.

8. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Interesting you should mention "projection". Are you familiar with the term "spontaneous utterance"? That too reflects on your situation.

I'll let you have the last word(s).

A warm and wonderful holiday season to you Boston.

-Tom

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yes very interesting that I mention projections isn't it, and of course a warm and happy holiday season to you to :D:D:D

10. Submarine Tom

That's "too" Boston not "to", silly billy.

But thank you.

-Tom

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well golly gee willikers there Tom

I thought you said I could have the last word

what was that you mentioned earlier about cognitive dissonance

whuh uh I gee wuz juss habing twubble umberstandin wut da meant by cwognits, whut?

12. hoytedow

Stop toting your horn and open a bok or jump through a hop but lok out you do it god. :)

13. Submarine Tom

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Just defending myself against some random and seemingly psychotic attack on my efforts to actually walk my talk.

Whats almost funny except its real is that it was my restoring my alternative fuels truck that seemed to set off his little episode.

Crazy, absolutely crazy.

I'm an innocent bystander Hoyt. Think of me as just a pilgrim

15. hoytedow

You better smile when you say that, Pilgrim.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.