Raft / Art Project by Novice!

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by sarawales, Mar 1, 2007.

1. sarawales

sarawales Artist Adrift

Thanks Tim. It'll be on display in Swansea Marina, from 14 April to 13 May. Its part of a city wide exhibition of site-specific artworks. The event is free, and if you're interested check out the website - www.locwsinternational.com
    So as I'm at the end of my bueget, am i right in thinking that i can get away with not sealing the wood of the pontoons and deck? That whether i do or don't doesn't make a huge amount of difference?

2. Rusty Bucket

Rusty Bucket Junior Member

Hey raft builders

I haven't been responsive becouse I've been on a farm in Tennessee, I didn't even know that the British soldiers had been taken but I'm glad to know they're home. I think it would be almost impossible to "seal" the 2x4's so they would be water tight. Tim-B could probably tell you roughly how much floatation you woul lose but I don't think it will matter very much. Depends on how much beer you lade. Please post a picture and have a launching party. good luck, rusty p.s. no bananas on vessel.

3. sarawales

sarawales Artist Adrift

Thanks Rusty for the advice and good wishes. I certainly will be having a party once i see it afloat in the water! my biggest concern is that the hoist is just going to crush it or rip the deck off or something. We've tried to make it strong so we'll just have to wait and see! Will post photos.

4. Rusty Bucket

hoisting at launch

Just a thought. If you will be hoisting the raft to launch you might give some thought to what will retain the barrels under the frame when you pick the raft up. Some of that cheap plastic strapping material like they use in a lumber yard would work well and possibly give it a little more strength. Godd luck again.r

5. sarawales

sarawales Artist Adrift

We've built frames around the barrels, made of 2-4 timber, so that should protect the barrels. Thanks again.

6. sarawales

sarawales Artist Adrift

She floats! In fact, the pontoons were only half submerged so we filled the barrels half full with water, and hung some sandbags off the pontoons to get it to sit just slightly above the water's surface.
    I was amazed how sturdy and stable a raft can be. Maybe i'll try and take her on a little voyage!

Attached Files:

7. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

cool. So how long before the seagulls move in?

sorry I'm in that sort of mood this afternoon

Tim B.

8. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

It's beeyouteefull! Smaller bugs will find a way in, though.

9. Rusty Bucket

Nice boat sara!

Good job, looks like you did just exactly what you set out to do! Nothing quite like building a boat and seeing it float. Hopefully you will apply your artistic impulses to somthing nautical in the future. Good luck, rusty

10. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

Very good!!!!!!!!i like that look.Recycled.Reused.Especially the shacks you see on hills along rivers and the coast.Often spotted.

11. sarawales

sarawales Artist Adrift

Thanks. I had a great response in Swansea. People loved it and found it very thought provoking. Now it has come to the end of the exhibition and what I'd really like to do is have it towed out to sea and just let go, to drift wherever it may. How easy is it to do this? Is is legal? Is timing important (i.e. in relation to tides)? How far will it go? Where might it end up? How far out would i need to take it? Any advice much appreciated.

12. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Olt salts

Probably the old salts on this site will advice you not to float it out to sea.

It will be a hazard for ships at night, and during the day thoughtful captains will change there course to see what vessel is sinking there.

Do like the idea and the rest of your project.

13. sarawales

sarawales Artist Adrift

Yes, I guess you're right. I suppose I think of the seas as being vast expanses and didn't reaaly think about anyone encountering it until it reached shore somewhere. I wouldn't want to be a hazard. I do love the idea of it though.

14. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

You would need a visa for the country you're going to...and as you don't know this,oyu can't comply with that law.Thats one bad point.if your'e wanting to rebuild it for coastal use-or build an entirely new one check out www.floatingneutrinos.com

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I got around my visa problem buy launching my raft in the Leeds and Bradford canal.

Although I was'nt aware of this at the time the canal was filled in about 2 miles down, therefore foreign travell was not possible and a visa was not required.

This turned out to be a good thing because the raft sank shortly after launch.

I tried to retrieve the vessel but it was too deep for me. I could see it under the water but couldnt swim sufficeintly well enough to organise salvage of the vessel and arrange a re-build.

However as luck would have it we were able to retrieve my mothers sandwiches that she had made us for our epic journey.

Water logged but yet edible,--the cheese and tomato was able to survive a 5 minute sinking under water. A fact that will be remembered in the future when designing Nautilus 2

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.