Question on Hyd, Input, output

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Mark Emaus, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Mark Emaus

Mark Emaus Junior Member

For the hyd. experts, I have a question on Hyd pump input and output.

We are looking at a pump that has a 20SAE input and a 16SAE output. The problem we have is the reservior tank only has 1 inch threaded openings. So, is it possible to use to 1 inch holes conect them to a T and increase the size of the T that goes to the pump to a SAE20 and not restrict the performance of the pump?

Thanks

Mark

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

You'd have to check your pump's spec sheet to be sure; some might be able to tolerate more severe intake pressure drops than others. But generally speaking, any restriction in the flow from reservoir to pump is to be avoided- every fitting between the pump and the fluid in the reservoir should be at least as big as the inlet to the pump.

What's the difficulty with just putting an appropriately sized opening in the reservoir?

3. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

In addition to Matt: Normally, you should have an inlet velocity less than 0.8 to 1.0 m/s in order to reduce the risk for cavitation and/or gas dissolution from the oil. With a small inlet fitting that means a rpm limit for the pump; better find a tank with correct dia fitting! Also place the return tank high above pump inlet in order to have a good pressure margin in the pump inlet.

4. Mark Emaus

Mark Emaus Junior Member

The reservior tank will be below the pump. It has to be. If you take 2,
    1 inch lines and connect them to a T on each side of the T, and then have the last part of the T as a 1.25 or bigger opening, why would you not draw enough fluid out of the reservior to handle a 1.25 inch input?

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yes you can do that if the T is say 2" then there will be no restriction. That is assuming the two 1" pipes have enough flow.

6. Mark Emaus

Mark Emaus Junior Member

Does anyone know a good web site to locate and check pricing of control valves that can handle 3000 psi and 35 gpm volume?

thanks

Mark

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

If you were in Canada, I'd suggest Princess Auto ( http://www.princessauto.com/ ) as they can track down just about any hydraulic component, if you know what to ask for. I have no idea who in Georgia sells this stuff.

8. Mark Emaus

Mark Emaus Junior Member

Thanks Marsh, but I was thinking of a web site that has prices and some details of there inventory. The Surplus Center is a good place, but they do not have the right flow control valves that I am looking for. I was wondering if anyone had some web sites to check out pricing?

Mark

9. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Suppliers around here only ever seem to list pricing for small, common components. Anything big or unusual, and they prefer that you call for a quote. I guess they all know that if any one of them started posting prices, they'd all have to start undercutting each other.

The closest I can find to your stated specs from Princess Auto is a 3-position 4-way monoblock valve, 30 gpm at 3000 psi for $230 CDN. http://www.princessauto.com/hydraul...le-spool-monoblock-directional-hydraulic-cont Can you be more specific about what, exactly, you're looking for?

10. Mark Emaus

Mark Emaus Junior Member

I really don't know Marsh. I am looking at a vane Pump, (33 gpm). It is a no laod pump for starting the engine. The motor is also loaded to 33 gpm. The system is 3000 psi capable. I need the control valve to work the motor both forward and reverse along with a neutral position. If it is electric that would be good. But I could use a manual valve also.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.