question is: are we sticking with Einstein?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by yipster, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Don't underestimate the power of dreams, I have had several that seemed absurd at the time, but were played out in uncanny fashion, sometimes years later. I don't take instruction on the subject, I know dreams can foretell future happenings, and they can appear entirely improbable or implausible at the time of dreaming them. If the guys from CERN say that's impossible, better think again.

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I dream of being 30yrs. old again --with two beautiful women on a 40 ft. sailing yacht but i'm afraid like the topic of this thread thats so far out there beyond reality it belongs to the twilight zone--:D

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Are you awar of deJaveu sorry about the spelling. Its when you brain recepticles mis a beat and bounce, you think you have been here before or you have done this or even dreamed it. You did but it was a millisecond ago but you dont calculate that. The memory does not put a tag of time on memories.

People see light as they die, but when they dont die they say they have had an out of body experience. Listen what do you think a blood pressure of 2/10 will do the the brains capacity to think. If you fuel pressure on your car dropped to 2 would you still expect full performance.

Ever had a fever?---man the crap that goes through the head then,--but its all mostly failures and not real.

Look at witneses in court!! its not common to find not 2 people saw the same.

Understanding ones mental ability as one does physical is an endearing feature not often found unfortunately.

Oooh is theat the time? back to Einstein then.

4. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

I would say that it is impossible to move in space without moving in time. Light can't do it and neither can we. We can think about two points in space and what occurs there at the same instant but, if we try to do something about it, time is involved. In that sense, space and time are equivalent. That is as true on the atomic level as in outer space. An electron moving from one Fermi level to another takes time to do it. Otherwise, the electron, which is not massless, would certainly violate the original subject of the thread.

It was popular for a while to call time the forth dimension but no one ever clearly explained just what that was. It was a convenient crutch but I don't think it means anything. I am not clear on what some of you are meaning with your explanations and some are feeling the same about mine. Our brains work differently and its hard to make minds meet on clear meanings. That's OK but I am still clear (currently) on my thoughts about time.

Much of what we think we know about the universe is wrong and constantly changing, sometimes forward and sometimes backward. That is the bane and the beauty of science. Unlike religious dogma, scientific "fact" can evolve without bloodshed although it sometimes seems a little bloodletting does occur in the scientific community.

5. Mr Efficiency

So I just dreamt I had these dreams and they then came true in a deja-vu sort of fashion ? Dear oh dear indeed......but I wouldn't have believed in it either, till it happened. There really is nothing like experience to crystallize opinion.

6. Mr Efficiency

You wanted the two women so as not to be short-handed ? :p

7. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

So right Frosty,

I had a serious open heart operation no so long ago. Soon after regaining a semi conscious state, there was a rash of hallucinations much as some of you are mentioning. While, at first, I had little or no control and they were very real, I did seem to realize that they were not normal thoughts and eventually was able to get rid of them but it was a tiring process. I think it was mostly drug induced and operating on my weakened state.

However, that is not when I came to my thinking on what time is.

8. Mr Efficiency

Open heart surgery, particularly where the heart is stopped, is notorious for causing mental disturbances.

9. RayThackeray

RayThackeray Senior Member

Nonsense. I don't know where you're getting this from, but it ain't physics. The basic space-time coordinates we use for anything to do with trajectories, orbital mechanics, navigation etc. - ever since Euclid - require the four dimensions including the 3 spacial and time. This is simply basic. Time is considered as one of those space-time dimensions. No confusion over the word "dimension" in this sense whatsoever. In relativistic calculations, using time is absolutely essential. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

10. Mr Efficiency

You'll have to pack the bags and head off to CERN to sort this out, Ray.

11. Mr Efficiency

lol...." a fruitless debate under a spatial construct". Love it.

12. l_henderson

l_henderson Junior Member

Have you ever realized the only thing that makes light is our eyes ability to extract information from that small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. The 380 - 760 nm region excites valence electrons of molecules so eyes were able to use that information. There is no such thing as light. It is no different from any other part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Our eyes using the information makes it "bright."

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Yes Mr. Efficiency one must not be shorthanded otherwise it is not efficient, Ahhh thus your name , I enjoy like minded people --
    To get on the topic-- what is the conclusion--all agree to disagree and if Einstiens laws are bent a little it doesn't mean a tinkers dam. By the way Einstein along with Churchill have my vote as the two most stand out men of the twentieth century. Einstien for his science and Churchill for superb leadership and manupilation in the defeat of Hitler.

14. Mr Efficiency

PAR's post containing that quip has vanished. Possibly a relativistic anomaly. :D

15. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I disagree. I think you took too close a look at the post, so now we have no idea where it is. :p:D