Question for the composites guys and Camx

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by comfisherman, Aug 11, 2023.

1. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

First project started with materials locally sourced, found out pretty quick that they were only sourced for cheap not because they were better. Ended up ordering other components from outside and have been more than impressed by things I've found. Realized that there is a pile of products yet unseen in my cold little part of the world.

From what I can see of vendors lists, it's probably my best bet to put hands on all manner of materials not available locally.

Is it a show worth attending? Seems like post covid some trade shows aren't what they used to be. Anyone in the industry have an opinion one way or the other about Camx?

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

I'll be at CAMX in Atlanta.

There are new things on the market, and many new suppliers, mostly fabrics and assorted supplies from China.

The shows frequently feature high end composites, aerospace, automotive, pre-preg, closed molding, and now 3D printed stuff.

For the average boat builder there are fewer items of interest, although the big resin, gel coat and glass manufacturers will be there.

3. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

Gotcha. That's good to know.

My little area is so removed that while we have lots of boats, most are built with local store supplies and whatever a " friend" has a sample of.

On my last project there was so much learning that went on, it was a case of just not knowing what was even out there. Have another relatively big project coming up and would like to make sure I've not overlooked some obvious choices or products. It's just a lot easier to get one guy to Georgia than samples all the way up here.

I'm not really looking for latest and greatest, but would like to see what's out there.