Question for problem with Murcruiser 170 4.3

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by coolmethirteen, Jul 27, 2011.

1. coolmethirteen

coolmethirteen Junior Member

My engine over heated. Once it over heated with stream coming out of motor with looked like anti freeze substance seeping out as well. I turned the engine off so it could cool off. I started it up with the engine cover opened. it seemed to be running good with out over heating. The next day I started with the muffs on the lower intake with the water on. The water seemed to be flowing in and going through the motor. I thought everything was working correctly and normal, so I cleaned the engine off with engine cleaner and squirted the engine with a water hose and took the boat back out to the lake. It started alright and everything seemed fine. I cut the engine off once I tried to start it. It would not start. When I would turn the key, it sounded like a weak battery because the starter would attempt to start and make a clicking noise. Then eventually went down to only making the clicking noise. I called a towing service out to give me a boost. I found out that was an expensive decision. The tow service tried to give me a boost it did not work and the boat continued to make the clicking noise when I tried to start it with jumper cables attached. Maybe I wet something that was not suppose to be wet when it steamed up or when I wet it while cleaning the engine. What made it over heat.......should I replace that anti freeze substance that came out. I would appreciate if someone could tell me what might be going on and what I can do.

2. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

Where was the antifreeze water seeping out when it overheated?

3. coolmethirteen

Yes anti freeze was seepimg out from the fill top and hose around clamp

4. coolmethirteen

Once pressure built up..

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You ve either a flat battery --strange coincidence but--.

Or far more seriously youve blown a head gasket from the overheat and water has filled a cylinder and it is locking.

A click is difficult to diagnose on the internet.

If it still clicks with a charged battery then this is beyond you and you will need help.

6. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Don't know about Mercruisers but when a car only makes a clicking noise on a good battery, it normally means the starter motor pinion has not retracted and is stuck on the ring gear. If the engine in running with the starter motor still engaged it may be the problem. Loosen the starter motor and the pinion should spring back.

Either the pinion is damaged of the spring for pinion return is.

That's a car anyway.

7. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

Did you get it coolmethirteen?