question about the drain

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by tz3dcom, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I do not know a lot of marine regulations on the subject, but I happen to know something about the chemistry and biology of waste water since I have designed a number of land based waste water treatment systems. In human waste, both grey and black, you can have e-coli, influenza, hepatitis, polio and many other dangerous pathogens. In certain environments these pathogens can multiply and become dangerous to health, in certain other environments, they are broken down into non-toxic organic compounds that actually can become nutrients (as in fertilizer). Any sewage treatment system is designed to created and maintain this later environment before release of the effluent into down stream waters (clearly you can not keep storing up city sewage, it gets treated, tested and than released down stream).

the so-called grey water has the same type of bacteria as the sewage, just not in the same concentrations, so if allowed to concentrate the pathogens will multiply so it can be just as bad as raw sewage (even worse in fact). Most soaps and bleach are actually bio-degradable and will break down when in the proper environment, as well as the pathogens in human waste. large bodies of water, particularly the ocean, will break down the soap and pathogens in waste water and turn them into harmless organic compounds that become nutrients for sea life. The problem is if the concentration becomes too high you get these toxic compound formations that are dangerous to human and sea life (as well as not being very pleasant when trapped in a harbor or lagoon). This is why I suspect in many popular harbors and anchorages they ban dumping of grey water.

So I would think that dumping grey water overboard when away from a harbor or popular anchorage would not be a problem since the concentrations are so very low. Consider that sea animals, as well as decaying plant and animal matter will also produce similar pathogens. You do no harm to the ocean when the waste water is in low concentrations and in fact it is part of the natural break down process for all wastes in the ocean, both natural and human.

It is not a matter so much as chemistry, but biology of the micro organisms in the grey water. So when handling grey water, keep all these issues in mind. It is not necessarily harmless, and should be treated with the same careful handling as the black water.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Petros --havnt you contradicted yourself there --You start off by saying that grey can be broken down and actualy be a nutrient for marine life then finish with grey water needs the same careful handling as back.

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

That's too vague of a question.

I don't think it's a problem, but others will.

It might be OK iin some places but illegal in others.

Here, people generally have a Y-valve, so when they are supposed to put all that in a tank, they do (so they actually have the tank and the means to contain the waste) and when they are offshore and the rules say it's OK to dump it directly into the ocean, they turn the valve and dump it overboard.

On the other hand you have places like where Frosty resides, where all the turds are hidden beneath the banana peels and other garbage and nobody gives a **** what you dump in the water, no matter whether at sea or in the marina. Good or bad, that does have a certain charm.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Little bit over the top.. And the award for exageration goes to....

From Hong kong to Phuket never been restricted . Book now to avoid disappointment --most marinas full

Do I need to explain again you think --naaa cant be bothered.

5. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

This kind of reasoning is exactly why human society is not compatible with the earth at the moment.
    It will take a lot of effort and change in behavior before there is a sustainable existence for human kind again on this planet.
    Think! Please!

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You missed the point. Aquatic life Is in abundance it is a very full marina of clams fish etc --I did write that fishermen are being thrown out by security as all the fish seem to prefer the inside to out.

This is in contrast to what most people --- and YOU think.

Why do I always seem to have to write posts twice.

No seriously do I write funny or something?

7. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Yes... you certainly wrote funny or something posts.
    And seriously pollution is a serious GLOBAL problem. You used an eye-closing and intriguant argument to the tread of pollution.

8. BPL

BPL Senior Member

The operative words are "concentration" and "can". Bad stuff can be broken down or he says, "if allowed to concentrate the pathogens will multiply so it can be just as bad as raw sewage." A sewage treatment plant is controlled and monitored.

How many dead chickens have to be washed up on nearby boats before dangerous e-coli "can" multiply from the gray water discharge in a sheltered yacht harbor?

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I totally agree with you Hasyb.
    Frosty : you donĀ“t need to write posts twice. Sometimes is enough not writing them. (I know I just opened the can of worms, but I risk with the consequences)

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Dead chickens, Just a tad over board here.

This is not a pollution thread its a grey water thread and I am not sticking up for pollution.

Perhaps then you might explain what we have in our marina happening is it pollution or some aquatic perfection that attracts marine life. Which is what is happening from your perspective of pollution.

You cant have your cake and eat it.

No need to stand and salute Euro marine regulations just explain how this (pollution) ) can make marine life so abundant when we are told it kills it?

Some ones got it wrong.

Just to make sure you dont go off again and I have to re write this all over - I/ we allow grey water in the marina along with black . There a few live aboards and we wash the boats with soap.

I will feed the fish with water melon skins and bananas, big fish love chicken skins ( oh I see the dead chicken reference now)

I have to throw a lot in because they eat it so quick --is this bad for them ....

Am I bad member of society.

11. Alik

Alik Senior Member

As it is drawn now, the drain might effect downflooding height of craft, as the sink is low.

Design is not just drafting, it also involves some knowledge of functioning and regulations :)

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Alik --the thread is about allowing grey water to enter the sea.

13. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

For those who want to understand: There are many types of pollution, not all contain sulfuric acid, but are pollution. Ever heard of acoustig pollution?

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Nope,-- Is there a pollution that fish like to eat and doe'snt hurt my ears.

I suppose there is all kinds of pollution,--as many kinds as you want there to be.

15. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Re-read the question.
    He wouldn't have posted a drawing for asking about pollution alone. That is a potential problem, not necessarily the only one.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.