Quality definition

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Andante, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Andante

Andante New Member

Are there in the "boatbuilding world" any conceptions or standards to refer to when evaluate the workmanship in boatbuilding. Are planning to sign a contract of a boat construction but are not sure about how to ensure that I got the quality that I want.

2. Robjl

Robjl Senior Member

Easy..

(a) Ask to talk to the three previous clients... Your boatbuilder may be reluctant... but if he has satisfied customers who are pleased with him it should be no problem. If he won't even ask his previous clients if they will talk to you...well you work it out.
    (b) Alternately look at boats currently under construction.
    Boatbuilders, like most tradesman work to their own standard that is the result of their training and ability.. they won't deviate much from this.
    (c) Get a marine surveyor on the job from the start...incl the contract.
    Good Luck.

3. Andante

Andante New Member

Thanks, i will take attention to your opinion.

4. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

There are numerous specific standards under ISO or IACS that could be invoked.

5. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

Often you hear someone say "thats a quality boat", when they are referring to the finish - the may have no idea how the boat is built.

I like the idea of having a surveyor on your side. Pay them to make several visits during construction.

6. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

and ABS, Lloyds, DNV,

Yes! Absolutely! Definitely!
    They don't have to be "Certified", but should be "built to" the standards.

The word quality is bandied about, but engineering folk have a very clear definition of quality. The only way to have a means of physically measuring quality is to base it on measurable criteria. If a product meets all specified criteria, it is a quality product. Even if the product is essentially a piece of junk, as long as it can do everything that the maker claims it can do, for as many times as he says it will do it, it has quality.

The point of my rant is twofold.

1. Don't let someone tell you about the quality of their products unless you can measure it.

2. A product can have a multitude of shortcomings, and wind up being yours if you don't define your requirements, or 'quality criteria" as precicely as possible.

Interestingly enough, projects that are defined this way usually wind up being economical, coming in on time and on budget. This is because it eliminates guessing and waste.

7. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

More money NEVER assures more quality. You either build quility, or you DO NOT.------------------- It is your money. You and your surveyor should visit the plant unannounced several times to see ALL phases of their--------------------someone elses, boat construction. Good boat builders have no concern. Justs makes them look better. I have been asked by good and bad ones to always come back. I do.-------Then make your choice.

8. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

There are.....it depends on what you would like.

In the Supoeryacht world, I would like to have "VAN LENT QUALITY"

Sailing Yachts, if you want to have top quality "I want Jongert quality" e.g. industrial standards cannot guarantee you a certain level of quality - simply there are none! In the boatbusiness we refer to topbuilders and take them as a level for quality.

Certain interior designers almost guarantee toplevel quality - I could mention a few like Paola Smith, Ken Frevoikh....(or alike, difficult name) Bannenberg, Evan Marshall, Guido de Groot, Michael Peters...... a very long list. If you are in that business, you know and you won't make mistakes. If not, you will do........ therefore your question........

9. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

Dear Andante,

Define quality in you own way. What is important to you? Design, Durabillity, Building material, Craftmanship, Finish, Sustainabillity, Trust, Time in bussiness, Quality of placed systems. Do you want to sail the world? Can you service your parts on the other side of the world? This on addition to Thunderhead.

Maybe you just want to define tolerance: The hole in your galley has certain dimensions, they can deviate. Too big: you can put some less cans in the cabinet next door. Too small: (!*&(?! There goes the fridge...

Define what is important to you, and if you don't know let a pro help you up to your needs. Maybe (or shorely) it will cost you, but they can safe you a lot too. Everything has its price.

Good luck!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.