Prop Shaft Machining Asia Help

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Game-Fish-Asia, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Game-Fish-Asia

Game-Fish-Asia New Member

I am trying to locate an engineering machining shop in Thailand (preferably close to Phuket) that has the expertise to machine down and build-weld s/steel prop shafts that are affected by crevice corrosion at the cusp bearing and stuffing box locations. Dimensions of shafts are 2 x 75mm (3") dia. x 6.0m (276") long 316 s/steel prop shafts. Maximum machining/weld depth is 3mm (1/8"). I can provide the welding sequence/methodology. If anyone has a contact or reference it would be appreciated.Steve

2. Steve 1

Steve 1 New Member

I would try around the Songkla area there is a offshore supply base there to Support South China sea oil exploration and i am sure there would be a few machineshops able to resolve this for you. Steve 1

3. Game-Fish-Asia

Game-Fish-Asia New Member

Shafts

Thanks Steve1

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You are in one of the best places possible to get what you want done.Dont bother trying to repair and weld a shaft it will distort. you can get a new one or two made in what ever stainless you want quite easilyand cheaply too.Ask for Ratanachi ship yard, they can do anything like that or go and talk to people at the Phuket boat lagoon.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.