Prop guard HP loss....

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Roly, Jan 16, 2010.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Inflatables are the best hulls for rescue because they are soft.

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Good point Gonzo but every rescue inflatable boat I've ever seen is a rigid hull made of either Fiberglas or aluminum...

-Tom

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

An inflatable with a jet outboard would be a good combination

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Stability, you can pull people into them.

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Hi what beach ?
    Yes anything that is in the water causes drag and this drag increases with speed and hp (increase in prop size and guard size also more drag ) Its the design of the prop guard that is important !!.
    Have spent a lotta time in surf boats . !!:p

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

HERE in nz we have soft bottomed boats with a 30 hp outboards and a crew of 2 , a bowman and a stern man /driver !
    they go out in huge surf sometimes so the boats need to be able to turn at speed on the face of a wave without getting swamped or flipped over !!:p

7. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Firstly, the damage from a surfboard fin compared with an outboard skeg ain't comparable. I have seen many surfboard fin strikes and 99% of them were not life threatening. (ex surfshop owner & 4 decades of surfing)
    Unless you are downright unlucky.

I have never seen a powerboat strike, prop,skeg or superstructure, so I can't
    comment & can only imagine the potential for much more serious injuries.

So, You a clubby, tunnels? Or you using RIB's for surf transport?
    Thundercats? http://www.thundercatracing.co.nz/index.php/ps_alias/youtube
    Beach= Piha

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

There is some information about some new safety propellor that its inventor states that it is harmless and even puts his arm into the rotating blade as the engine is running on a stand.

It on You tube somewhere and was posted here to but I cant remember where it was.

Personally I think it was ********.

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

safey and hands in blade is highly debateable i totally agree . plus performace !no way in this world . :p

10. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

i used to work for a inflateable boat manufacture and we made surf rescue boats for the nz surflife saving . Plus lots a other stuff as well . I used to do all there glassing work and development stuff including new boat development and trouble shooting for some of the early thundercats types when they first hit the scene!!:D

11. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Off topic but....... you seem to know your onions.
    I just bought a 3m Niad tender RIB, hypalon (F/g bottom), for the sailboat. Brand new but been in storage for ten years??? Niad apparently went bankrupt?
    What happened to Red Knight & Arancia?

The Niad is a bit heavy but will hopefully last longer than my old Force4, which was somewhat fragile.
    It was a bargain so it don't matter anyway.
    Thanks for the heads up on the 70hp. I will launch when all the peasants have left. Midweek the beach is empty.

12. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Red knight became Nimrod and closed down but i still keep in contact with Dudley , he has retired and not sure if he does any of that work any more .
    Call me 818 4624 sometime ask for Wayne Arancia closed as well like every where else .I think the arancia guy had cancer !
    :p

1 person likes this.

13. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Niad should read Nimrod.My daughter runs Niads at the lab.
    Get 'em mixed. Mine has ORCA on the transom.
    Tunnels, I'll give ya a call in next couple of days. Gotta get an estimate out tonite.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.