Project Log - New Keel, Who Dis? (Pearson 26 to Electric Cruiser)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jeff in Boston, Apr 23, 2021.

1. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

What have you done with (or are planning on doing with) the keel - somebody building a sailing boat around this size might like to take it off your hands, rather than just letting the scrappies have it?

In view of how you won't be heeling under sail, would it be feasible to re-arrange the cockpit drains so that they exit the hull above the waterline? And then you would not need to worry about seacocks?
    Re the toilet seacocks, are you installing a chemical or composting loo instead?

Re the lifelines, it is possible to buy netting to put on them, to help to keep small children on board, and to make the Admiral happier.

Will you be mostly using the boat on Boston harbour, or taking her to other locations as well?

2. Jeff in Boston

Jeff in Boston Senior Member

The keel is probably still at the marina in CT. I offered it for free on a few forums. No nibbles.

I looked at re plumbing the cockpit drains before and couldn’t figure out a way to do it that didn’t screw with sleeping space in the cabin. But it is totally worth looking again now that the boat is at my house. Thanks for the nudge.

Will be using a camping style porta potty. I’ve used one on another boat. Works well enough.

I’ve looked at the nets. Might have to use one but I’m hoping not. Need to get taller stanchions and move the bases anyways.

Will mostly be cruising Buzzards Bay. I’m on the mooring waitlist.

3. Jeff in Boston

I'll have to measure it, but it looks like there is only 4 or 5 inches from the lowest part of the cockpit (which is right in front of the companionway) to the waterline. If I moved it, I would need a 90 degree bend scupper and the thru hull on the side of the boat would only be a couple of inches above the waterline.

It would drain slower and be harder to clean out. Not sure it is worth it.

The tee in the port drain is for a sink I have already removed.

20210115_141605.jpg

4. Jeff in Boston

Guess who has two thumbs and THREE working 1 1/2" WC seacocks? I only need two for the cockpit drains, so I have a spare!

PB Blaster is the shiznit.

Next is to actually get them off the boat. I plan to heat the thru hulls and use a socket with two grooves ground in it to spin the thru hulls.

If I have to cut them off anyone know if the WC seacocks take a standard NPS thru hull?

I assume if I don't see any cracks or worn too thin parts I can just lap them, lube them, and put them back in service?

5. Jeff in Boston

Update! I bought a 40 year old house and that has taken much of my time in the past few years, but I’m starting to work on the boat again.

I have all the bronze seacocks out. Had to cut off the mushrooms for all of them though. Will probably sell them and switch to marelon.

I’ve taken off all the railings and am working on putting new stanchions on in better locations. I’ll be doing spliced dyneema lines.

I have a wood keel built (4 inch deep, 10 feet long) and fitted to the keel slot. I need to smooth it and then will be fiberglassing it to make a female mold. Will then make keel inside of that. Afterwards will be epoxied and bolted on and filled with ballast.

Gotta get it in the water in the spring!

6. willy13

willy13 Junior Member

With your 4" deep keel, what do you think your draft will be?

7. Jeff in Boston

I’m thinking less than 24”. Small enough I’m not going to worry about it.

willy13 likes this.

8. willy13

willy13 Junior Member

I will be following your thread, as I have a similar project with a San Juan 23 sailboat with a shoal keel (sailboat to trawler conversion). I removed the retractable center board, but for ease will be keeping the 900 lb shoal keel. The keel is 12" deep and I have a draft of 26". Anyways your project sounds interesting to me, thanks for sharing...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.