Pricing Custom Catamaran Builds - the impossible task?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by talus, Sep 13, 2008.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks talus, The 56' trawler uses the "skinny hull" configuration which is also on Chamberlins power cats and John Hitch (sail but commencing a power cat now/soonish.... Over USA way the beam overall seems narrower (marina berthing?) whereas in OZ, many around 40' LOA, have a beam overall around 24' which seems to support a more comfortable ride given higher bridgedeck clearance.

My biased view is that in cruising cats (power & sail) Australian design innovation is streets ahead of USA where the market seems to concentrate on mono or trawler "production models".... In OZ/NZ there are more designers/builders and fierce market penetration for single (non-production-line) builds.

Most builds expect/support owner presence/participation in the process, which I think is a very good thing as the owner gets to know his boat and its often "hidden systems" very well....

2. CTMD

CTMD Naval Architect

Talus if this is the boat I think it is, it has some "issues" and a very dissapointed owner. I won't go into details incase I'm confused, but I'd advise against using it as a bench mark in case I'm right.

Also be cautious of very wide boats with long super-slended hulls. Despite their great fuel efficiency, They don't make good passagemakers.

3. eastcape

eastcape Senior Member

custom, kitsets, design

Talus,

Wide body cats with slender hulls are fuel efficient, however, are very tight for accommodation, comfort & buoyancy. A "custom" live aboard cat should be a compromise of comfort, form & function to suit your specific requirements.

If you have an exact budget: There are some very nice production models available if you were seeking to turn-key and go. I would only recommend going with a custom design and build if you are unable to find a vessel for sale that would suit at least 80% of your requirements. ( Or you have deep pockets and want something unique :) )

A custom design and build project can be very rewarding for all parties involved. You as a customer need to plan carefully and after du diligence, proceed with the designer and builder that you feel comfortable with. Talus, you have started at the right place as there is world class design talent and information on this site to be educated from.

In regards to a kitset: A kitset will help reduce the labour cost for the assemble time of the shell of the vessel. If you are an owner who likes to feel, see, and build things as you go, a kitset will not work in your favour. A kitset requires more time and cost in the design stage to reduce the assembly time for the builder. Pay more for the design, save money on labour during construction. A kitset is also a good way for the customer to prepare a budget of known cost. The design will cost X, the kitset will cost X, and then the estimated is labour and fit-out is X. There are many variations of kitset methods available to choose from. All of them have pros and cons. The customer & preferred builder should work closely together in choosing the right kitset method to suit the customers budget and the builders capabilities.

In regards to custom design: Once you have a preliminary design, it is reasonably easy to price the kitset options. A preliminary design will also allow you to talk to builders and get a feel for their abilities and prices.

If you do proceed with the "custom design process" from any designer: Take small steps by acquiring the concept design, then the preliminary design, then when everything is lined up proceed with the final kitset or construction design.

Regards,

4. talus

talus Junior Member

Noah,

I think you have hit the nail on the head regarding the 80% solution.

Every vessel is a compromise (cost, size, accommodation, quality etc). At the moment I'm finding there is much more value in used boats - at least for someone on a limited budget.

While I would love a custom built vessel (by someone other than me), I don't think one is going to fit with my funds.

However, I really do like the consistency of kits such as those built by Fusion Cat of Australia http://www.fusioncats.com.au/. That is the type of kit project that I would like to take on.

Cheers.

5. ct marine nz

ct marine nz Junior Member

As all boats vary so much giving a $amount per kg or pound is only ever gonna give you a ball park price which is not enough to commit to a project my advice would be to settle on a design and REALISTIC budget then either get a builder to price it (not a designer as they dont have a clue) or if you are gonna build it yourself price all the hardware and then work out how many years off work its going to take and thats you sorted

6. Scrumble

Scrumble Oram 46'C MS Builder

Good Day Talus,

I agree getting a cost analysis is very difficult.
    I have been through that and as my project is current I have a good handle on it now.
    Please contact me if you would like to talk figures re our project, which seems very similar to your specs.

Regards,

Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.