prawn trawler stabilty

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Sheepy, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Sheepy

Sheepy Junior Member

The only thing that was smashed was the front windows and there framing, The radar, antenna and nav light masts look fine to me.

@Typhoon: The boat that he swam away from wouldn't happen to have been the koloona(sp)?

2. Sheepy

Sheepy Junior Member

As far as I know a few boats had got out at high tide in the morning, he tried it at low tide in the afternoon. I'm the same as you, I would not have even been there in the first place. I have been crossing the clarence bar since I was 5 years old, and as a pro fisherman for 17 years. My father crossed it for about 35 years before leaving the industry.

3. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Outstanding series of photos! Just what is needed to teach seafarers about what shall not be done and atheistics about the existance of a caring God! :)

Cheers.

4. phum

phum Junior Member

I spent a few years at Ballina Slipways in the timber boat era, left when steel boats became the norm. Two boats I can remember from that time were ST. George and Kekenni (a lot of years later I owned Kekenni)
    Stability was not a design factor in those days. They were designed to get over the bars, (Bar boats) work and get home for breakfast. The most common power was GM. 2 strokes (for there quick responce) although a few Gardners and others snuck in. Arm length was short(single gear) and they didn't have to carry much weight.
    Later on Maclaren, Corbett and others built a fuller version of a bar boat. Fishing styles had changed and more HP. bigger props,longer arms (twin gear)more fuel and refridgeration needed more displacement.
    Kekenni, considered by most to be a good seaworthy boat in its early days, rolled over and sank in the harbour at Weipa,was doing a slow turn and just kept rolling. Brine tanks were full, ice and prawns.
    Sorry to ramble on.
    Peter

5. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Having a second look at the amazing images posted by Sheepy, I think that, on top of the big help of that skipper's mighty and caring angel, the fact of having that big box on the stern deck greatly diminished the amount of water taken on deck when running the waves, thus reducing the loss of stability. Some other contributing factors to the survival of the vessel could have been a hull design with a low tendency to broach, as has been said, because rudder action was probably almost useless due to aeration of water. Also a heavily ballasted/loaded hull could have helped (?).

Crazy master, anyhow.

Cheers.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Give the first pic.s a closer look the radar antenna is out of angle!

7. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Show these pictures to those guys that want to cross the oceans in a Solar powered Catamaran or those builder that want to make a lighter boat to go a few knots faster... Like the saying goes, " the sea does not care".

8. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

well forefoot is not deep, so steering by bow probably not a big issue, the considerable beam played huge part and low bulkwards and as Guillo said half aft deck is box
    Just fiddling stabilty our latest and even dropping cg .2 metre increases vas by 10 degrees so by sticking 3 tonne is as they want in the prawner will make huge diff, wont change downflood angle though
    yes dauphin, some of the armchair sailors need to print some of these shots, remind em the sea is wet:)
    there was a full sized ship down Antartica waters, got hit by a massive sea, stove her bridge windows in, she lay broadsides onwith the main engines stopped, they managed restart but captain said if another such sea had arrived it would have been all over
    According Lloyds there are only 5 such places where truly freak waves occur , all other waves are in know patterns and heights

9. Sheepy

Sheepy Junior Member

It's angle is wrong because the framework around the front windows no longer exists = nothing to hold the roof up.

10. Çemberci

Çemberci Senior Member

stability

A pdf literature is attached named "A best Practices guide to vessel
    Stability-Guiding Fishermen Safely into the future * US Coast Guard"
    Oktay Çemberci
    İstanbul/Turkey

Attached Files:

11. The copper guy

The copper guy Junior Member

Hiya sheepy i was looking to see who i was talking to and found this.
    First couple of pictures answer was A 14 POUND HAMMER TO KNOCK THE BLOCKS OUT?
    Then saw the rest now the answer is LUCK AND DESIGN only i call it SEAMANSHIP AND TRADITIONAL BOAT BUILDING she is built for the job!

No really i wood be happy to take any boat you designed to sea, Have you seen some of what is out there, I spent a winter in the north sea on a sea snake (barge with the wheal house on a hydraulic pole) I think an accountant designed that but we made it work anyway, (SEAMANSHIP?)
    All the best and thanks for trying m8

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.