PP65 Questions

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by jonmonkfish, May 31, 2012.

1. jonmonkfish

jonmonkfish New Member

Hello

1st post help needed with project

I have managed to get my hands on a PP65 to aid my project.

My plan is to find a suitable electric motor to run it. And initially buy a cheap speedboat 14-16ft to build a prototype.

Eventually if the prototype is successful when I have saved up for my 18ft fishing boat to be built I will kit it out with my electric jet drive and possibly a more modern jet.

My 1st question is what engine would normally be used to run a pp65 am I right in thinking a Rover v8 is one of the options and what spec engine is required? Weight, torque, rpm etc so I can figure out which electric motor I need

What size boat is the PP65 suitable to shove along. (min-Max)
    What is the max RPM of the PP65

I know it is not possible to say what RPM would be needed to shove a boat along as I don't know the details of the boat I will use yet but is there a recommended RPM so i don't hav to run it at its max again to help with wot electric motor to get

Also i plan on building a small internal transom and tunnel to mount the PP65 so it doesn't stick out so far and a tunnel to help flow to the motor and to keep the motor above the lowest point of the boat as it will beach launched.

for example if I had a 14 boat and fitted a 3ft tunnel how much would this affect handling buoyancy etc

im sure ill think of more questions but that will do for now to get me started

2. windydave13

windydave13 Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.