Power Boat Level 2 endorsement

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Stadtline, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Stadtline

Stadtline New Member

I am looking at doing an Power Boat Level2 course, however I have been told that I would need to get my certificate endorsed by the MCA (this is for nautical licence approvals in Malta where my boat is berthed). Does anyone have any experience in this? How should I go about it?

Many thanks!

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

From what I understand ..the MCA is the license authority...not the Sea School in Malta. Either the Sea School is approved by the MCA for issuing tickets or you must solicit approval from the MCA and be examined by an MCA examiner. A quick phone call to the MCA , RYA would clear it up. I see two approved sea schools listed in Matla. Perhaps give them a call and find out.

http://www.maltamarinecollege.com

http://sunseekerexperiencemalta.com

http://www.rya.org.uk/coursestraining/Pages/default.aspx

3. Stadtline

Stadtline New Member

Many thanks for the reply. I will give the MCA and RYA a ring.

The RYA representatives in Malta are suggesting to complete an ICC with them, but someone else told me that ICC is a commercial certification. On the other hand, the Maltese authorities tell me that the ICC is not endorseable to a Maltese nautical licence. They seem to think that Power Boat Level 2 "endorsed" by the MCA in UK is an acceptable route. So best is I call MCA and find out.

Thanks again

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

ICC...International Certificate of Competency. As far as I know... ICC is not a commercial ticket. Im not familiar with what the ICC qualification is for...I typically see ICC used by people who want to charter a Sunsail boat for the week.

If you own a boat , fly the Maltese flag and operate in their waters , you would assume that any license must be approved by the Maltese Maritime authority. The sea schools in Malta should be able to advise.

Typically my crew seeks the..... Yachtmaster, Commercial Endorsed Ticket for small craft operation in Europe.

Commercially Endorsed means that the Yachtmaster holder has also taken addition SOLAS approved training. STCW95 safety , GMDSS communications and ENG1 Fitness if I remember correctly

Sorry about all the Acronyms.. Licensing Jargon is dense.

5. MechaNik

MechaNik Senior Member

The Yacht master ticket would be the way to go. You should only require a VHF certificate not the full GMDSS. Then a small fee to have it MCA endorsed (done by the RYA).
    I think this is the smallest ticket MCA will endorse.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.