Poor Mans Rigging Strain Gage

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by viking north, Jul 18, 2012.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

And the info is on stream. Great guys -- two actual inexpensive instruments that can be purchased and a couple of do it yourself methods. Again the forum provides the answers. Man there's alot of technical talent and info here, it just blows me away.I honestly did not know about the two inexpensive factory produced units. The torque wrench system is kinda funky --imagine that set up with a digital reading torque wrench. That would be impressive and professional looking to a customer while at the same time be more accurate than my pinky finger --I'm gonna order one of the two, and give the rigging the finger no more :) wish I had one for Sat. I have to install and tune a mast for a very financial independant yachtie and the digital torque wrench could certainly twist his arm into making a kinder donation :D --- Tnx.--Geo.

2. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Viking, if you have the free time and still want to do the job, I can send you a drawing of a simple comparer device that I use to make and (rarely) sell by here. It's so simple you can do it in half an hour using just garbage, and works pretty well.
    90 model B and 91 model A are a bit comfortless, you need a hand on it all the time, so it's pretty difficult to achieve a specific tension value. Devices that attach to the wire (like the one I'm talking) are much more practical.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ive just thought of a simple comparison measurement. Tie one shroud to the other and tension the line. The distortion should be equall.

But its really not that critical. I know some owners slacken off when in port. I know some that like to see a floppy shroud on the lee side.

4. quequen

quequen Senior Member

This mast step system used on the Rocket 22 is the best: you can relax the hull quickly, without loosing tension ratios. Folding tensioners is another good option.

Attached Files:

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Quequen thanks for the reply-- I would like very much to see a diagram of your device. I think your are the first poster i've seen from Argentina but then again i'm a fairley new member. Funny story that ties our two countries together-- The United States had a large Sub. base in my former country of Newfoundland . The base was located in a town named Argentia. The base was listed as overseas by the U.S. military and the personell recieved isolation pay along with a rotational posting time. The story goes: When rotational time arrived many of the base personell would gather to see the look on faces of the incoming replacements wearing T shirts and shorts with 6 feet of snow on the ground. :)

6. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Viking, that story reminds me the ones I hear from my uncle. He served in the Air Force and conducted missions to Antártida for 20 years. That was a hard job, he spread his love for this land, I allways tell him to write a cup of books, (he has enough funny stories to fill them! and some not so funny, also).
    I'm sending a private message to you, just answer it and I'll send the file attached, it's pretty simple but feel free to ask if in doubt.

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

He should do so as once his life is over the full flavour of the events are forever lost. I've dug out my old riggers reference books and will start a reread tonight ( after 20 years) just for the heck of it. Possibly i've forgotten something :D. Regardless give me a good technical or history book any day over dime store fiction.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.