Polyurea Coatings

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Ace Dragon, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Ace Dragon

Ace Dragon Polyurea and Spray Foam

None slip surface - yep, easy to do.

Thank you bntii, I have received a message that said I was not conducting my self correctly.

Petros, you are right on target. I can not locate "fine" aggregate in my area. We are bidding a boat this week that will call for a none slip deck. We may have to use the technique for truck bed liners to aquire this surface.
    We have only two bed liners under our belt and one of them is real rough. I have not been on it in the rain but it should do the job.
    This technique was done on a US SUBMARINE and the captain told the installer that the sub went two knotes faster. They think the coating caused air bubbles. Don't know about silent running concerns.

2. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

I'm not sure which of your posts struck someone as too commercial, but this thread seems fine. (It's only a problem when someone joins only to post off-topic promotion/advertisement instead of discussion, which does unfortunately sometimes happen.) In any case, welcome to the forum.

3. jonr

jonr Senior Member

Have you used it on any fabric other than geotextile? Fiberglass, kevlar, etc? Once sprayed on fabric, any idea how it compares to hypalon inflatable boat fabric? Have you seen any cases of it being used to hold air? I know they use polyurea for fenders. Thanks for the info.

4. Petros

Petros Senior Member

there is no way it would go faster if it causes bubbles, drag reduction by increasing surface roughness only occurs in a vary narrow Reynold's number range when the flow is near transition from laminar to turbulent flow. The size and speed of a sub is WAY beyond transition. a rough surface on something as large as a sub would only cause drag. If your coating filled gaps and joints and covered screw heads and made the hull surface smooth, than it might help speed.

There is one company that makes a deck coating that uses ground walnut shells as an aggregate to make a rough surface. IT works pretty well, the problem is the substrate is not that durable in the weather and it has to be reapplied every year or so, at over $100 a gallon I replaced the deck before I replaced the coating. But I thought the aggregate was interesting.

5. jonr

jonr Senior Member

6. Ace Dragon

Burst pressure warranted to 1250 psig.

For the questions as to holding air or making a boat.
    I am working with a pipeline coating company that is warrantiing their poly coating to 1250 psig. ck out www.hollowaypipe.com
    I have seen a foam core boat covered with polyurea. It was reported to work very well as a raft.
    Another boat was of sprayed foam then covered with poly. Cave Man looking but it worked with a small outboard motor.
    Walnut shells are one item used for aggregate, I am always going for long lasting products, so am looking for a harder item. The texture we put on my truck bed liner is very rough and should work fine for a boat. We have decided to go with that in our bid. Again, I am not using normal truck bed liner ploy's or those pressures and my product is for high impact and it has provide to withstand very rough service standing up to the Silt filled ice.

7. Ace Dragon

O, yes - there is a polyurea that is being used by our military for armor plating, ck out Dragon Shield on www.specialty-products.com
    or on my web site www.ace-dragon.com

Remember there are all kinds of Polyurea and hybrids - each application needs to be spec'd out by the manufacture, if the project is important.
    There was also some very bad installations 20 years ago and the industry has grown up in later years. I do know of applicators that act as cowboys. I will always go with the guy that has substrate prep as his first concern, then comes the operation of the coating equipment.

8. Ace Dragon

Speed increase, yes a polyurea coating will leave a smooth surface and can fill seams of 1/8 inch. So maybe that is how the sub gained speed. I was talking to the applicator that did the job and only know it was to be a anti skid surface, so it would not have been as smooth as it could have been by any means. Maybe the guy was pulling my leg, I hope not.
    I just coating two 20 ft boats and I know the last customer will be doing a speed comparison very soon.
    The first customer will be comparing how far his boat will go up dry rock bars in the river. Yep, thats right.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Polyurethane pellets are a common texture granular additive for heavy body paints and commonly available at real paint supply stores.

10. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

How would a polyurea work on bare plywood ?

It might be less of a hassle than epoxy and glass.

F

11. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Does the spray equipment allow for a smooth application? ive only seen textured applications which was what i was after on my van to look like the vinyl bra but on other applications smooth would be nice.

Steve.

12. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Could you use a type of this product to spray over and fill the weave of drapped fiberglass? Drapped over plywood.

13. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I'd be tempted to try sheets of filled UHMWPE for this.

14. Ace Dragon

Yes to all questions. The Water Park company is spraying fiberglass - replacing the gel coat.
    Smooth is the norm. Look at my avitar it shows a some what smooth finish.
    Graco H-XP2 with Machanical gun is the least you want to go with for spray equipment.
    Send me a private message so I can give you the sales person that deals with me - might help me a little.

15. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

how does this relate to the thread, just curious about what the pellets do.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.