Polyethylene holding tank

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Terry, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Terry

Terry Junior Member

Hey All,

Does anyone know how to weld/glue fittings to polyethylene tanks? I usually use thru-hull fittings with lots of 5200, but I really don't like how that looks.

There's got to be a way!

Thanks,

Terry

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Around my neck of the woods there is a pretty healthy fishery, and all the fishermen and processors use polyethylene fishboxes. When they break 'em or run a front-end loader through 'em, they call a local company that specializes in welding polyethylene. I suspect that your Gulf shrimp fishery uses the same type of fishboxes, and I bet your local processor would know someone who welds poly. Ask down at the fishplant.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welding plastic isn't hard, but as in all welding, requires experience to do correctly. A heat gun, some rod and a respirator (you don't want to suck this stuff into your lungs) should get it done, but take MMD's advise and find the local folks who do this for a living. I don't think it's something that can be learned on a Saturday morning so you can have at the tank in the afternoon.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.