Pocket cruiser interior design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tussock, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Tussock

Tussock Junior Member

Where's the ply going? Haven't you got some fine timbers in your creation?

I've seen Bingham, but not Rable. The limiting factor in my boat is the comparatively narrow beam. It makes the usual twin-berths-opposite layout a bit awkward. If I get over the festival I'll have to peruse your library.

Engine? (((Cough, ahem...)))

2. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

The ply is for the cabin top. 3 layers of 6mm bedded in polyurethane and bolted around the periphery. Lighter than a steel lid.

Rable is interesting in a 1950's way. Probably not worth buying new.

As for an engine or lack thereof - remember your comments re ROC? Guess what you're planning on building - very heavy displacement, not a lot of sail area, junk rig. I'd be thinking about the engine. Now. Before you start building or even dedicating all the voluminous interior space to other things. Otherwise, you might spend a lot of time bobbing about outside a port with hot showers & cold beer waiting - while you bob about, waiting for the breeze.

I have a lovely little air cooled 3HP Yanmar marine diesel with a 2:1 box that you could *almost* get away with taking on a plane as checked baggage.... but the Bukh would be a lot better. You could put your seat on top of it.

I agree that one good comfortable berth is all you need. More allows for the possibility of crew, and that leads to trouble.

PDW

3. Tussock

Tussock Junior Member

The ply would be nicer to finish too. I imagine another round of grinding and epoxying would wear off the novelty...

I've agonised over the engine question. I don't know what to expect in light airs. The displacement loaded at the beginning of a passage would be high, but the displacement of the yacht itself shouldn't be too ridiculous (I'd figure at this stage around 770kg for 17'6" LBP). The SA/D isn't overly healthy but the SA/WA is okayish at around 2.2. How this translates to light wind performance is something I can't quantify. Testa gives some clues on his boat, which would be a little lighter but a lot less LWL: he felt his SA/D was too high (he anticipated light winds and got more than he thought he would). And look at Yrvind's boats (although he's not shy of gale-strewn, washing-machine latitudes). My current thinking is: outboard on a bracket for most of the time, oars to provide emergency steering/jury rig/access to beer. From rowing a similar displacement and wetted area I would think that I could keep up over 2 knots without a strain, but I wouldn't want to buck a tide.

The jury is still out, but engineless has appeal. Maybe you could stick that engine in your bilge and sail it over for me.

And send some more photos.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.