Plywood Bulkheads vs. Composite plywood vs. composite glass

Discussion in 'Materials' started by CatBuilder, Dec 13, 2010.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Nice! I usually work like that as well... linking all the Excel sheets together so when you change one thing here, the rest changes automatically. I used to use Excel (and IDL) a lot to analyze data from a couple of spacecraft I worked on while at NASA. That got me in the habit. Repeating things is very inefficient, I definitely know what you're talking about. Thanks for all the help so far. I've learned a lot... nearly ready to start in. :D

2. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

You worked in NASA? You have heard of Martin Holmann? He was into composites 1983 and I learned my basics from his books. He was also a partner in our company.

3. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

No, I haven't heard of him. There are many *many* different places where you can work for NASA. My work was done in conjunction with a university in the northeast and at Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD (with a few trips to locations in Europe to work with ESA on a joint project). Those were the locations I worked at. We had a few materials engineers on our team, but they worked mostly in aluminum frames that supported the instruments we flew on the missions. Mechanical engineers, mostly. I was a physicist, so I worked on 3-d modeling of the plasma we were detecting with our sensors, calibrating the sensors and writing programs to interpret data streams. There weren't many "materials guys" in my group.

4. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Great work.

Well, it was a long shot anyway. Just thinking if you have crossed paths.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.