Plexus Adhesive Vs. Thickened Epoxy

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by JEM, Jan 26, 2005.

1. JEM

JEM Senior Member

Working on a decked design where the deck will fit over the main hull like a shoe box lid. Hull made from Poly (maybe vinyl) and will be gel coated in the mold.

Heard from a couple sources that Plexus Adhesive would be good selection to bond the deck to the hull.

What about epoxy thickened with a filler for adhesive? Any better? Worse?

Plexus sight claims little to no prep work on the bonded surface. Accurate? I'd think at least scuffing the surface would be a good idea.

Opinions appreciated.

Matt

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

3. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Plexus can do the job indeed. The materials need to be clean (as in free from contamination, mold release and grease) and need to be dust free.

I always recommend to at least wipe a polyester surface with acetone. There is only one good way for wiping with solvents:
    Apply the solvent with a clean, solvent wetted towel.
    Dry the surface immediately with a clean, dry towel. Replace this towel frequently. (as in: after every square meter or so).
    This way you dissolve contamination, then transfer it into the towel, which gets tossed away.
    Just smearing the place with acetone will not help, as you do not actually remove anything.

Plexus glue can then be applied, and asap the deck put on.

I am a big fan of the 300 and 310 series. (1:1 mixing, high shear strength, high stiffness).
    I also like the 420 series (420, 422, 425). (1:10 mixing, slightly lower shear strength, but much more flexible.)

When bonding aluminium, please make sure you use a primer, and make sure there is no condensation on the aluminium. (can happen in the morning).

When doing a complete hull, get yourself a pneumatic gun. This saves a lot of time. (try and borrow it from the distributor if it is only a one-time occurence.)

And one simple way to make sure you have a good bond: Make some tests...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.