"Le Trophée des Multicoques" revival 28-31 August 2018

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Dolfiman, May 19, 2018.

1. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

I have read on various threads that some of you quoted the "Trophée des multicoques" in the 80's as an intense period of creativity and benchmarking for ocean multihulls design : catas, trimarans, first tentatives with foils, etc ….. a pivotal moment from which the current multis are direct descendants. The teaser here below remind you these good old days.

30 years after (!), this competition is proposed again, at La Trinité 28-31 August, and will be for the biggest boats the "warm-up" event before "La Route du Rhum" 2 months later : the Ultims will be there in confrontation in the category 1 (except Banque Pop IX ?, too early a priori for the boat just refit). Web site (only in French up to now) is created with the 5 categories and the programme, participation is open to all >> registration form is now available here below :
    Web site :
    Le trophée des multicoques https://www.tropheedesmulticoques.com/fr/
    Registration form :
    S'inscrire à la course https://www.tropheedesmulticoques.com/fr/infos-pratiques/s-inscrire-a-la-course
    Teaser :

Corley and Doug Lord like this.
  2. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

It's funny, but rather depressing, that despite the hype about the growth of multis there doesn't seem to be any current regatta with a fleet anything like as large as Le Trophee des Multicoques used to have.

3. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

80's were really a golden period with full of new ideas confronting to each other, made possible thanks to the enthusiasm of a new generation of sailors, naval architects, boat builder, public, sponsors... discovering the speed potential of multihulls and renewing the nautical show.
    The web site includes also an Historical section full of interesting articles, I have translated here attached the one about "VPLP first designs", an interview of Vincent Lauriot-Prévost about ocean multihulls evolution during the 80's.
    Other articles (that I can translate when possible) are :
    Paul Ricard , victories and woes
    Formula 40, the revolutionary formula, the optimal size (2 articles)
    Charlie advice , an interview of Charlie Capelle (multihull builder)
    From ORMA circuit to maxi Multis
    From Polynesian Prao to ocean multihull
    Pen Duick IV, the fradgile dragonfly
    About architectural diversity
    A start is born , the story of the Trophée des Multicoques

Ref : Historique https://www.tropheedesmulticoques.com/fr/le-trophee/historique

Attached Files:

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dolfiman, thank you for that-very interesting!!

5. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

Tomorrow is the first day of the Trophee des Multicoques, here below the web site to follow the event, only 2 big Ultims will participate : Sodebo/T. Coville and IDEC /F. Joyon, not Macif although not far in intense training every day, neither Gitana 17, too bad. Banque Pop 9 still waiting for its new mast.
    Actualités https://www.tropheedesmulticoques.com/fr/le-trophee/actualites

Doug Lord likes this.
  6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

8. trip the light fandango

trip the light fandango Senior Member

In my search for all things trimaran I came across an article on carbon masts and how they reinvigorate older craft,I think it was sailing anarchy.
    As well as a performance advantage the boat felt less awkward with righting moment greatly improved making it more comfortable and safer potentially,.. depending on whose at the helm..still,.. ha, need for speed and all,..
    If it breathes new life to a big wooden mono it would have to be good for a fairly light aluminium mast70/ 8os tri.
    The article spoke of the carbon fibre's longevity which also really appeals. The difference is all news to me but probably not to any of you.
    It's fascinating watching the different construction and ride on the multis in action, thanks to you both Dolfiman and Doug, regards

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018

9. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

Thanks for that translation, Dolfiman. I met Vincent a few times years ago but never talked design with him. Nice guy.

It's interesting to see that he seems to have a lot of respect for Phil Morrison, a truly great designer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.