Freeship+/ Hydronship Baseline/Draft Setting

Discussion in 'Software' started by CmbtntDzgnr, Oct 12, 2011.

1. CmbtntDzgnr

CmbtntDzgnr Senior Member

Hi,

I really want to have the baseline of my model not start at the bottom of my sonar dome. I want it at the hull bottom. This would be partly so that if I make changes to the dome, it is only the NAVIGATION DRAFT that changes, not the entire model's draft.

I am not able to readily determine what happens when I check the "Enable model to move to baseline" box. Well, what I actually do see is that the model sinks even farther down. Since it is there, there an advantage to this feature. But, when I move the ship up or down, trying to mate the bottom to what "looks like" the baseline in the model's world, everything goes more negative. I think it is impacting the hydros, and it doesn't confer any change in my exported dxf model.

My workaround in CAD for now is to shift the model down, but I must remember to do this everytim I import it or parts of it.

So, back to the original question: can anyone explain the behavior and is there a hydrodynams-related reason to consider the bulb's bottom as the model's baseline? Is it because it is integrated and there is a capability in Hydronship to more accurately estimate power, speed, turning, and so on when the bulb's effects dictate the model baseline to be farther down?

And, for CAD/draftting reasons, would it be worthwhile to have the hull baseline as the model's and drawings' reference since the bulb can change mid-project, or even be altered after a few years in service. In that regard, though, I imagine such concerned designers would on their own distinctly position the model for construction purposes separately from hydros purposes.

Thanks!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.