canoe seat placement

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by wd.janiga, Mar 5, 2008.

1. wd.janiga

wd.janiga New Member

hello
    I have an 18' aluminum canoe.
    I want to put new wood and web seats in it.
    So when i do that i would like to move the rear seat forward to help with weight distribution,
    because i weigh #350 and my wife weighs #150 (in the front) and with nothing else in the canoe the bottom tends to flex up.
    Will there be any problem with this?
    I will also have to move the thwarts to accommodate this, will there be a problem with that?

Thank you

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

It may have an effect on how the boat tracks ,(stays on a straight course when desired), but the turning ability may be enhanced also. Moving the thwarts could effect the strutural integrity of the canoe. I guess it depends on how sturdy the initial build was and on the present condition of the hull. Slightly overbuilding the new seat and possibly adding an extra thwart might be advisable.

Welcome to the forum.

Take care.

Tim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.