Plans for: Displacement work cat 12-15 x 4.50 m

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sinclair D-R, Jun 9, 2014.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Today, in Europe and for pleasure boats, it is sufficient to self-certification, thats true. But local authorities have, even for shipyards, grant that permission. To achieve this you have to spend quite rigorous examinations. Not only does the project under review, but the working methods and shipyard facilities. For GRP construction material stores inspected, handling thereof, the humidity and the temperature in the workshops during the hours of the workday. When production is in series, it is obligatory to experience stability for the prototype. There are companies, called "concerted entifades" by Adsministración, holding a series of controls. The prototype project must be kept for several years (I think 10) to periodically check that what is being built at all times match the approved project.
    Anyway, a number of checks to the amateur builder does not find it easy to overcome.
    In Spain there are specific rules for amateur builders who want to build their own boat, non-commercial purposes. The regulations and controls exist.
    But this thread is about a boat, workboat forms, but for non comercial use. Therefore, ISO applied in all its rigor. This is my opinion. I hope I'm not mistaken.

2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Not really. In ISO12215-5 safety factors for composites are 2.0. In Rules of classification societies for slamming areas - 3.3... So automatically it might no comply, unless category is downgraded.

3. Sinclair D-R

Sinclair D-R Junior Member

Regulations and Brussels bureaucrats and Recreationnal Craft Directive, etc.

Thanks to you both to remind us all that our freedom to create is continuously slowly but surely eroded by the day.

As an example, see this list of documents Patrick Balta
    http://www.balta.fr/page1.html
    had to produce for one EC certification and i am not even sure it is complete:
    "
    Dossier de Plans et calculs type nécessaires
    Plans et schémas :
    - Plans des formes avec les caractéristiques
    - Schéma des capacités et des dégagements
    - Schéma des épuisements
    - Schéma "incendie"
    - Schéma électrique général
    - Schéma de "franc bord", relevé des ouvertures
    - Emplacement des dispositifs de sauvetage
    - Schéma de l'habitabilité et de l'hygiène
    - Profil de voilure, surfaces des voiles et du fardage
    Dossier de post construction :
    - Plan de construction général échantillonné
    - Calculs de structure selon la demande des Affaires Maritimes
    Calculs
    - Calcul du déplacement à vide et en charge
    - Mesures de stabilité sur le bateau
    - Courbes de stabilité statique et dynamique à vide et en charge
    - Calculs hydrostatiques et pantocarènes
    - Calculs sous voiles, limites d'établissement
    "
    Then came all the drawings and that was in 2008 or so.

4. Sinclair D-R

5. rustybarge

rustybarge Cheetah 25' Powercat.

Maybe if you are using a workboat privately, like I am with my cheetah cat, you should go for the sub 12 mtr self certification process; the hull is already done by the manufacturer, you just have to provide the wiring layout and amperage, and fit a certified hydraulic steering setup already done by the supplier.

Easy peasy.....:)

Of course it you are using it commercially , that's a different ball game.

6. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Coming back to workboat topic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmXeP-Qaxxg
    This is 12x4.5m workboat designed to carry up to 5 tons cargo on deck. The first two boats we equipped with drums and cable-laying system for oceanographic research. Structure in composite, bottom in coremat and topsides in PP honeycomb sandwich, designed to LR SSC rules, limited ice class.

And pleasure cat of about same size:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJl4qDyBM9Q

7. Sinclair D-R

Thanks but no thanks Alberto!

Hors sujet. Out of scale.
    Some less extreme design maybe?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.