PL and Epoxy on the same project?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Russ Kaiser, Aug 7, 2011.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Par: it is Dace, and she still looks pretty good considering the neglect; the split is tiny. I put her up on trestles a couple of feet above the ground because snow does build up a little in this area:-

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yep, that's a bad hair day for sure. Poor little Dace, she's got more snow on her then she is long. This is one of the two distinct applications of snow that I will accept; pictures. I can handle pictures and Christmas morning, with the fire going and snow falling. Okay screw that, maybe juts pictures of snow falling and I'll turn on the A/C and pretend it's cold outside.

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

I lived for twenty years in Eastern Canada. I loved it,------BUT eventually the length and depth of the Canadian winters got to me. Especially, since being a sailor, the sailng season, even if stretched a bit, is only four months of the year. I married an Aussie girl and we went to Australia to cover the Little Americas Cup for Multihull magazine in 1976. The sunshine and sparkling water at Sorento was an invigorating experience. Going back to the dead of winter in Canada was a wake up call. All of our sailing waters were solid ice.
    In 1977 we moved to Australia and I said "If I never see snow again it will be too soon".
    And I Never Have. :D

4. PAR

Snow looks great on post cards . . .

5. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Hmmm . . . and to think that we moved here from the Nation's Capital - Ottawa - because my wife found the weather there was a little too severe . . . I still miss the mid-Winter office party with skating through the center of town on the Rideau Canal and hot chocolate afterwards . . . No! that's a lie, of course I don't!

The boat and snow pic was taken last year, Dec 6. I was tempted to invite the neighbourhood in for a dip in the pool - if they could find it. I love the snow-cone effect on the flower-pot that I forgot to put away. There's about 30" on top of the boat and the fence at the back is over 6'. It all came down in one snowfall.

It's the same time this year but there's been hardly a flurry compared to that. However there were some some lovely scenes to admire yesterday my dog walk through the local park; the trees were touched with frost as far as the eye could see, a black and white picture with the crispest contrast any photograher could wish for. I wish I'd taken the camera, it was like walking through a classic Dickensian Christmas card. It's all melted away.

What a year. Best flowers ever, fantastic fall colors, shaping up for a nice Winter: I hereby award the 2011 all -season exterior decorators award to Mother Nature!

6. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

Real seasons bring structure and flow to life. Much like I appreciate mechanical sweeping hand clocks with numbers and incremental minute marks, real seasons keep the time passing from blending into a drab endless space. I guess it is an analog approach to life. I've been to places where there is little seasonality - summer and ... not summer ... and I can't say I fit well. It just seems so ... soulless.

Yes, winters are long and sailing season short - if you don't ice boat or cross country ski. But the first days of spring where the cold breaks, snow melts and you can see hints of green are huge - they bring celebration and victory to days where other places have no reason to cheer. Right now everyone in this house is happily anticipating a good snowfall - making the gray, rainy, muddy mess disappear and have it become a bright, white sparkling new world. My Husky mix is most anxious for winter - she and her Bernese Mountain dog friend get their collective "snow dog" mojo back and can play without overheating.

I guess all this probably seems like nonsense to someone who only knows weather above 10 degrees Celcius. But then again they are the ones missing the experience, as we experience their weather 8-9 months of the year.

--
    CutOnce

7. PAR

I've always been amazed at the production of northern builders. They spend so much time indoors, that they can build 50' yachts during their off season. Down here in the sub tropics, will also build 50' boats, but at the end of the workday in February, we can take a sail or have a BBQ to celebrate our efforts, which is probably why we don't seem to get as much done as the cabin fever clad northerners. It's a difficult trade off to accept, but I'll tolerate the burden.

8. rowerwet

rowerwet Junior Member

I used PL Premium to stick the decks and rails on my latest mouseboat builds, the rest of the hull has epoxy and glass on the seams. PL Premum will stick to sanded epoxy, fairly well. I wouldn't trust the two together on a stressed joint

9. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but what is PL Premium.? :eek:

10. PAR

PL Premium is a Loctite product, commonly seen in the big box stores in the USA.

[​IMG]

It's a construction grade adhesive, used in land based housing construction. A typical application would be to attach paneling to a wall or hanging trim pieces. It's designed for static loads and dries hard, toward the brittle side with age. It's got good tack and a solid grip when cured, but again, not well suited to dynamic loading, like that seen in many places on a boat. It's a modified polyurethane and can have difficulty bonding to some plastics, plus it's drying accelerators can attack some plastics too. It's considered waterproof, but not recommended for submersed applications, which suggests it's not really that waterproof after all. For gluing non-critical items, it's fine, but I wouldn't trust it in certain areas of a boat.

11. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Thanks for that PAR
    I think I would rather stick to waterproof Epoxy adhesives. :D OS7.

12. PAR

BoatCoat is the stuff for your - DuckFlats.

13. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Errr--- The proprietary name is Bote-Cote.

1 person likes this.

14. PAR

Errrr . . . you're right, oops . . . thanks for the catch.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.