Pirate Ship computer lofted ready for build

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by nickbranson, Dec 7, 2011.

1. nickbranson

nickbranson Branson Boat Design

Scale is at the bottom left hand corner of the drawings.

Do not understand. 'Peak halyards are going to put loading's on the throat' Only way loadings decrease in any significant way is if the mast extends way, way higher up. Which just was not done. Draw a vector of the loadings if your not sure. Loads of examples of this arangement at this date so historically true.

'The sprit/ jib boom are a joke' Can you explain what you mean? Standard stuff again except that unusual on such a small schooner where a single spar would be used.

'And what the hell is going to hold all that up in the air' Once again what do you mean? Standard rigging and positions of rigging for a schooner. The coloured drawing is a graphic and not a rigging plan. It does not show lots of running rigging as it's not it's purpose.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The main problem is that there is enough detail to appear to be a very amateurish attempt. Study plans often show only the outline of the rig. For example, you are showing the jaws on the yards straight instead of curved as they should be. If the details are not accurate or proper, it will cause less confusion and criticism if you leave them out.

3. nickbranson

Scales are on the drawing are correct. The drawing used to critise the lack of running backstays etc is a picture. It does not include the vast majority of detailed rigging as it's not it's purpose.

You guys have been very free and easy with your opinion's so surely fair to respond to them?

4. nickbranson

Critical about straight jaws on a gaff. If that is the fault then that's fine but it's not is it?
    Please re-read the comments. Someone can make any comment they like but evidence would have loads more weight.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The jaws should be about perpendicular to the mast when hoisted.

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Detail design of gaff and boom jaws by William Garden......

gaffjaws.jpg

Boomjaws.jpg

7. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Guess I won't trust any Garden designs. :)

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

This has the trappings of a typical fishing schooner of that time period. My great great grandfather built one in 1818 and she was basically a type used along the eastern seaboard at that time. They were commonly called Heel Tappers and differed from the Chebaccos and Pinkys in that they had a transom stern. The Chebaccos and Pinkeys were more double ended and basically are close in design.I have built a scaled model hull of my GG Grandfathers schooner from a half model that another member of the family has. I have also used as an excellent reference "The American Fishing Schooner" by Chappelle.( ISBN 0-393-03123-3) The term American in this case referring to Canadian as well as U.S. craft of that period. The hull lines and layout on page 35 match my GG grandfathers half model very very close) Typical scaled sail plans are shown on pages 39 & 40. This reference book is known as the bible on the subject and a typical pirated vessel of that time would have been much the same design.

P.S. Nick if you go to page 158, then count 8 full pages later, at the bottom you will find a photograph ?? by Stanley E, Stephens showing two fishing schooners 1790--they have very long bow sprits closely resembling your drawing- so I don't think you are that far off. There are also some good detail drawings on the Chebacco, Pinky, Sharpshooter, hulls on the first4 full pages with the last illustration (Sylph) being close to my GG grandfathers schooner.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  9. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Eucalyptus was marketed as "Sun Wood" in USA, mostly California

It came pre-stained/treated.

I imagine it was whatever the 'common' type we have growing here in CA.

Great for treehouses and slingshots, nice "y"s.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Eucalyptus like pine indicate a family of species. The characteristics vary hugely.

11. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

off topic on the Euc, but I was working with crew whose company also

was building paper mills in Brazil where they were growing Euc for paper.

Apparently, outside of Oz, Euc forest tends to be a mono-culture because not much eats it besides Quaula Bears and Kangaroos(?).

So on one hand it was "green" and on the other it was "anti-bio-diversity".

From my own exp. with Euc in SF bay area, I'd agree it tends to be a mono-culture. Fewer spiders when climbing trees and the leaves and bark piles don't decompose as fast as Oak or Evergreen, or so it seems. Fewer birds in a Euc forest in CA as compared to any other tree.

Euc oil supposed to be toxic to fleas, so good to put a few fresh sprigs in the dog house.

12. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Kangaroos and Koala bears are meat eaters
    English and German backpackers are their preferred prey though other smaller animals are known to be in their diet.

13. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

All the only sources I could find calim Koalas are herbivores, eating mostly but not entirely eucalyptus leaves. That's what the ones we saw at the Sydney zoo were fed. I wonder if the photo sabahcat posted was "photoshopped". It doesn't quite look right.

Kangaroos are also reported as being herbivores. Being a herbivore doesn't mean an animal is a pacifist, and some herbivores can inflict serious injuries.

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Parallel to the gaff jaws are acceptable, though canted jaws can be slightly shorter and are more common in the USA.

15. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

They do need their roughage, just like us humans
    Helps the buckles off of the backpacks pass through apparently

Well they wouldn't want to scare the tourists now would they.
    Who would want to pay money to hold/cuddle one if you saw them ripping apart critters like in the picture?
    Blodthirsty buggers I tells ya.

Oh absolutely, nasty little beasties they can be, especially if cornered.
    Be afraid, be very afraid.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.