Paddle wheel help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by G4s1198, Dec 6, 2021.

1. rangebowdrie

rangebowdrie Senior Member

You got it.
    Sometimes it's a concept that's hard to wrap-your-mind around, but maximum thrust occurs at 100% slip.
    As the vessel starts to move the slip and the thrust decrease until thrust equals drag,
    Their is still some slip, their must be, as props don't perform as a "screw thread" in water.
    Talking about displacement vessels.

2. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Slip is such a meaningless concept. It's the "v" in momentum =mv, as if m meant nothing, and you could talk meaningfully about generating thrust from v alone. Naturally it can be measured and discussed, but it's intrinsically misleading, and makes clear understanding more difficult than there's any reason for it to be.

3. G4s1198

G4s1198 Junior Member

Hi everyone, so I had to upgrade the axle for the paddlewheels and complete some other tweaks. Took her out today. The weather was 9mph wind with 20mph gusts. With the wind I was up between 3-4 mph. Against the wind I was around 2mph and was able to make slow progress against it. I have to look at the transmission as it seemed to be between gears at times but I figured you guys would appreciate an update. Any feed back or thoughts on performance is welcome

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    Will Gilmore likes this.

4. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

What is the present configuration?
    Number of paddles on each wheel
    paddle size, width x height
    paddle shape, cupped etc?
    paddle submergence
    wheel RPM
    pictures if you modified anything.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.