OUTRAGE! Ady Gil (Earthrace) trimaran rammed and sunk by whalers!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by bad dog, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

you forgot to mention he is a stoner

there is a paradox that old Paul and his type are missing
    these vegetarian people

one
    the mountain lion and the bear and I, we all have a place in the circle and that place for some includes eating meat
    otherwise we deny our place in the great scheme of things

two
    that we have a responsibility to our fellow beings to respect and honor there existence, to drive another to extinction is not honoring there creation, it's disrespectful to the ancestors and it's detrimental to all of our continued existence

my views may be a bit on the spiritual side for some to be able to understand, but in the end it is wrong to eat the last of a species or to deny it a place in the circle.

I can argue this from a legal point of view but some place ego before the obvious

I could argue this from a conservation point of view but some see no value in the diversity of the circle

I could argue this from a survival point of view but some see no farther than themselves

in the end
    I dont want to argue
    I'm just hope there is a world left in which my grandchildren and there grandchildren may live without asking me in there prayers

where did all our brothers go

B

2. hartley

hartley Junior Member

hartley

:) ,Just a bit on the australian political situation as it pertains to japanese whaling.firstly the whaling has been going on for years with little impact here until last season when there was serious confrontation between the whalers and the eco terroists
    now before the last federal election the opposition leader ,and soon to be prime minister kevin rudd ,stated that he would by diplomatic means bring the japanese whaling to a end ....he did NOT say illegal japanese whaling ,and there the matter rested,until the current whaling season commenced recently.now enter the federal minister of the enviroment one peter garrett in a previous life the lead singer of the rock group "midnight oils'' also known as skull, he had previously stated that he would take the japanese to court ,he did not state what the charge would be ,however he was told to tone his rhetoric down.now to the present hoo haa garrett stated on tv that the government is very very very concerned about the current events and he will see about having a ENQUIRY about the matter, also the deputy prime minister julia gillard stated on tv that she would instruct some government dept or other to hold a enquiry
    so perhaps we are to have two enquiries :) :) meanwhile the prime minister is holding his head well down ....so there you have it ....cheers hartley

3. balsaboatmodels

balsaboatmodels Junior Member

Yep.

That is a very good question.

I'm a little short on very good answers.

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

There is no explaining a doof like Sabahcat, Bos, and I wouldn't even discuss it with him. You, on the other hand - why do you assign more value to a whale than an elk, for example. There are places and times when elk were more at risk than the minke.
    Minke trivia, the all-knowing experts say that minke swim anywhere from 20 KPH to 20 MPH wide open. I have seen, many times something no biologist/fool/expert has seen - minkes rampaging at 40 knots, or more. They sometimes skim the water and porpoise like nothing in any biologist manual. You CANNOT give credence to something some kid who has hardly been out of the classroom comes up with. The numbers are biased low because the guys reporting numbers have a soft spot AND they don't have a clue what they are talking about. "Yeah, yeah. uh....two blows in a "v" pattern, not as big as a sei, not a humpback, too small to be a fin....uh...did anyone see if it had an armband? Yes? That must be a minke! okay, ONE (1)." They count their way up to 20 or 200 and extrapolate that figure with the square kilometers (metric sounds more sciency) of ocean, comparing notes with other experts, agreeing to make numbers match and come up with a number - "800,000".
    "Having passed the test of significance and with solid peer review, we can state with a 95% confidence interval that we are pretty close to having our data match our desired objective as verified by another authority, Dr. Skipper John Nylex Watson." "Based upon this and the fact that in 20 days of chasing that hot vegan chick around the boat we only saw 20 whales, we conclude that there is reasonable cause to support a moratorium on any taking of cetacean life (They're the same as HUMANS, for God's sake! WAAAAH!)"

5. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

LOL,
    I've crewed on research boats before and the scenario Mark lays out isn't too far from what I've experienced.

The difference between Watson and Osama Bin Laden is a matter of degree not kind. Both are fanatics who lead a cult of followers, both threaten innocent human life, both deserve the same fate. Differing perhaps in that Bin Laden could be shot anytime anywhere with little concern for legalities, Watson would need to be terminated in the act of terrorism putting human life in peril, as a matter of self defense.

Boston's sentiments are quite correct. Nothing deserves extinction. Extinction is not the issue here despite the emotional beliefs of some who have posted.

It doesn't apply to our friends from the southern hemisphere at the moment, but up north folks sometimes get a bit cranky in the winter. It's showing here.

Barring new developements or a particularly outrageous statement this may be my last post on this thread. I think we've just about beat this dead horse to tatters. Everyone has a pretty good idea where everyone else stands, few minds are going to be changed. In closing I'll post a quote I find amusing that addresses a quite common human condition that some here suffer from.

"We can anticipate him reaching an unchanged conclusion regardless of the evidence put before him."

I bid all my fellows here, even the bunnyhuggers, a happy New Year. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

Actually, whale meat tastes rather nice.:)

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

TollyWally,
    It doesn't have to be winter for us to be cranky. We are full of **** by nature :D

Whale 'meat' ? If I feel like eating vegatables then I eat chicken or fish.

8. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

If I feel like eating pizza, I eat broccoli...
    You are fanie men.

9. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Are you a bit of a thicky?

Whales are protected
    Killing them is against the law

The Japanese get around this rule by killing whales for scientific purposes, therefore they are not be for human consumption.

If they are not for human consumption, why are the whale meat stockpiles increasing?

Answer me that?

[​IMG]
    http://weblog.greenpeace.org/makingwaves/archives/2006/12/stockpiles_of_whalemeat_are_in.html

If they cant get rid of existing stockpiles, why continue to kill more?

Bringing elk into the discussion is nothing but a strawman argument and a diversion.

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

We are well armed and don't anyone forget it.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I have seen minkes jump out of the water like dolphins too. Other species, like sperm whales, I have only seen diving or leisurely swiming in the surface.

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Maybe you should try wearing a hat....if you're running around with your head bare in that Australian sun, it might explain some of the half-baked notions you have.;)

As a matter of fact, yes. I own lots of guns. Do you have a problem with that? You shouldn't, as long as you leave me and mine alone.

Apparently you believe it's OK for fanatics to attack people and property, but it isn't OK for their targets to defend themselves?

I'm done with you; you haven't posted a single thing yet that makes a lick of sense. And you're not going to; you're just going to keep carrying on like the spoiled brat you are.

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I'm with you Troy. I believe in the right to own weapons to defend myself from terrorists and other violent fanatics.

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I grew up being taught by my dad that we don't kill something unless we're planning to eat it, or unless it's planning to eat us. And I probably have more respect for animals than the average animal rights activist does...because I take them for what they are, instead of trying to anthropomorphize them and pretend they're just cuddly children with fur.

I don't trophy hunt, and I don't kill more than I can use. On the other hand, I'm also not ashamed of being at the top of the food chain...unlike some of those idiot activists.

15. mark775

mark775 Guest

Gonzo, ("I have seen minkes jump out of the water like dolphins too"). Just my point - anybody who has been on the water much has probably seen this, yet the experts are incredulous. I'm serious about this - the experts have talked about declinining Beluga whale numbers in Cook Inlet for years...habitat destruction, over-hunting, etc.. The only ones to give a **** and know what they were talking about were the natives that hunted them - and they said "there's more than usual" - we're gonna go kill some. The biologist's bleat, the paper writes a story, the people write letters to the editor. Everybody is up in arms. Turns out, the natives were right- there are 2,000, not 400, and they are highly migratory anyway. The experts just sit in their Suburban at the whale viewing pull-off and try to tell the people that really know how to manage the species. These natives have been harvesting these stupid animals for tens of thousands of years and a biologist is gonna tell him when and where?
    Troy, it all started with BambI.
    I have a cowboy hat. I have guns...they go BANG! Boo!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.