OUTRAGE! Ady Gil (Earthrace) trimaran rammed and sunk by whalers!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by bad dog, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

For those interested in following protocol in ramping up action on this, the Australian Minister for Transport is The Hon. Anthony Albanese,
    A.Albanese.MP@aph.gov.au
    - he is responsible for all SOLAS stuff.

The Minister for the Environment is none other than the rock star turn pollie, The Hon Peter Garrett
    http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/member.asp?id=HV4 and click on CONTACT FORM

Letters should be short, simple and polite. Both these blokes have good hearts, and are both committed anti-whalers.

2. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

Frosty - the video above IS Japanese!

Australia has territorial waters around its Antarctic Territory - look it up on a map.

3. pacificproa

pacificproa Junior Member

Yes they are whaling in Australian waters.
    Also lets not confuse the issue its not a bout beef or chicken, but an endangered species called whales!
    By the way all shepherds boats are vegan!

Do you really think the Japanese need to kill 900 whales to do research?
    Really how dump can you be, slightly or incredible.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The vidio is terminated.

Did the act of tampering with the Japanese whaler take place in or out of Australian waters?

The Bat boat was deliberately deployed to hinder the navigation and -or the operation or anything that could hinder the ship doing what it is payed to do.

I love Australian Lamb, is hunting Kangaroo still legal, I eat that too.

Ostrich farming could be described as cruel, birds grown with only one purpose in mind, Yummm I eat animals,--I don't really but its legal if I wanted to.

Your calling me dump? I hadnt been rude but you should calm down.

5. pacificproa

if they were both anti whalers they could have taken some useful action a long time a go, as it is they are both literally a joke!
    It only takes one navy ship to put a stop to all the nonce and uphold international law! if you still belief in law that is.

6. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

Frosty - the video above IS Japanese!

Australian waters include its territory in Antarctica. And as Pacificproa said - the whaling is in contravention of several international laws, even if it is a loophole in the IWC rules (the law is still an *** - thus SS's frustrations and direct actions).

7. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

sorry for double post - web is playing up tonight.

Whether or not we eat other meat is an absolute furphy here - the issue may seem relevant to you but it is a different argument.

The simple argument here is about acts of aggression at sea! Nothing more, nothing less. Start another thread on vegans vs carnivores if you want to pursue it, but here I am talking about ramming and sinking vessels with PEOPLE on board, whether by the Japanese or anybody else.

8. pacificproa

It took place in Australian waters.
    If you think hindering illegal activities is not ok, you should be very happy with the drugs importation in to the USA and other places.
    Bit of a joke, if some thing is illegal, it doesn't make it legal if a government does it.
    It just makes weak people run scared!
    Kangaroos and lamp are not endangered, its a very different story!!
    Whales are.

9. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

If the Australian government had any GUTS they would have the navy out there to prevent the illegal whaling.

NOooo---Mustn't offend the Japanese. BULL.:mad:

10. jonr

jonr Senior Member

IMO, if something is illegal then they should abide by it and the law should be enforced by the government.

On the other hand, if someone is trying to damage my vessel and endanger me by inviting a collision or fouling my prop, then they are dangerous criminals and I'm not picking them up if they are in the water. But I'll report their location to the authorities.

11. mmstar84

mmstar84 Guest

Making a difference the hard way

Ady's own guilt over the pollution he's caused with his large trucks and huge consumption of power for his large media corporations is what led him to put so much money into these failed conservation attempts. This sounds a lot like Al Gore and so many other rich liberals, doesn't it? I can certainly see the point in saving the whales, but when it's done for the sole purpose of relieving ones own guilt by putting others in harms way, I don't see much for gain.

12. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

here is the Japanese video

This is a poor copy of Wasabi's original shoot from on board the whaling vessel. You can see that Ady Gil is idling forwards at maybe 0.5kn, then the water cannon blinds the driver, who when alerted by the crew of an imminent collision edges forwards, then - probably - after frantic shouting from the crew to reverse, does that - but too late.

Attached Files:

13. pacificproa

Interesting so if some thing is `illegal and a government fails to act, and private people take over, its ok for the people doing the illegal act to run people over.

this logic is just not funny, it means governments can do Wat they want with out responsibility.
    The bottom line is whaling is illegal!! is this so hard to understand??

All paul watson does is uphold international law where governments fail.
    This is proved by the fact that he has never been convicted of any crime despite him and his organization have been responsible for the sinking of 8 illegal whaling ships

14. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

Hey mmstar, Al Gore may be a rich liberal, I'm a poor liberal and maybe you are too (?) - but we can all work for change in whatever position we find ourselves (and then, whatever position we make for ourselves).

15. liki

liki Senior Member

Reverse?

To me, on the video in youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEpLsff4HI)

Ady Gil seems to clearly have gained more forward momentum at 0:15 and after the collision at 0:38 it seems evident that the whaler has turned port.

Am I wrong to say that Ady Gil should have long before the video starts manouvered to avoid the possible collision with commercial shipping?

EDIT: Sad end to the Earthrace trimaran.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.