OUTRAGE! Ady Gil (Earthrace) trimaran rammed and sunk by whalers!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by bad dog, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Obsolete marine mammal ? How did it become endangered any way.

Maybe you don't understand the first rule of survival.

If you're on an aeroplane in trouble you FIRST put YOUR air mask on before helping the kid beside you. If you get disabled by lack of oxygen then you can't help the kid either. Even if you help the kid, he may not be able to help you. If you don't protect your resources first someone else will gladly relieve you of it. All of it.

Right, let's allow the east to eat and flourish well for the next few years on whatever there are left in the oceans. After that we can all resort to kentucky fried chicken, who needs stupid fish and extinct marine animals any way.

In my opinion it is always better to dispose of the one that is going to cause the crisis. Remember when aids started ? If they disposed of the few then, the millions would not have died later on. Now it is unstopable. Welcome to humanism, but I'm sure you approve. Save one so the result can cause many to suffer and die later.

To sum this up it seems it would be ok that any one should be allowed to take what you want as long as no one gets hurt. Simple eh, but that is exactly why the crime rate here is what it is. As long as no 'human' gets hurt.

Too many abuse too much under the label of 'human' interest. When God said rule over the earth I doubt he meant fcuk everything up and kill everything that comes across your path - as long as no 'human' gets hurt.

Humans are the stupidest things that exist on our planet. The more I have to do with them the more I like my boat.

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

I agree with fanie "better to dispose of the one that is going to cause the crisis" - we should consider killing ALL of the whales before they eat every last thing in the ocean and **** their vile parasites into the ecosystem. How selfish of us to want to manage the species for the sake of our children!

3. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Be careful what you wish for. By your "logic" we should kill everyone exhibiting minor fascist tendencies to prevent them from encouraging others. ;)

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ok well that was interesting
    lets take one of the most amazingly inovative vessels out there and run it under a bigger boat

"there bound to stop"
    "aren't they?"

OK
    on the one hand I like sea shepherd
    no one else is going after illegal fishing and fishing in certain waters is illegal
    and there must be preserves and sanctuaries if we are going to maintain fish stocks

why
    because there yummy
    and I plan on eating them

on the other hand that whole thing was just plain stupidity on both parts

The Japanese vessel clearly turns into the smaller vessel in a deliberate attempt to ram

The SS was obviously being blinded by water cannon fire both before and after the incident but should not have been in the way if a collision would endanger lives on either side

in this case that little composite hull stood no chance and it was a dumb move to place it in harms way
    very poor use of resources on there part

the Japanese should be prosecuted for failing to answer a distress call for endangerment by inaction and for willful destruction of property. I believe it is also illegal to leave people in immanent danger at sea, cant remember what they call that one, but its criminal to leave the scene without rendering assistance in a maritime accident. Im sure one of you folks will chime in whith the exact international convention.

oh
    some whales are endangered
    some are not
    any that are in protected waters are off limits

the Japanese are obviously breaking the law and are obviously not conducting research

what they are doing is taking Minke's which are not endangered but in protected waters
    which is not legal

ss has a right to interfere and to disable but not endanger the Japanese vessels as long as they are willing to render assistance should a fouled prop turn into a life threatening situation

the Japanese on the other hand obviously have no regard for the rule of law and on that basis are in my humble opine
    at fault here

on the other hand
    whale is yummy and my Eskimo friends have been nice enough to let me try some
    I appreciate that whale
    the world would be a poorer place without them
    but we all have a place in the circle
    my place is to kill and eat
    responsibly

best of luck to SS
    I sincerely hope no one was hurt

what I find odd is why the Japanese insist on hunting whales in the sanctuary or in protected waters
    bad move that opens them up to all kinds of troubles

B

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Killing whales is not against the law. Some countries don't permit it, but in international waters it it legal. Get it right

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It looked to me that the whaler was trying to turn port away from colision. It also looked to me that the "batboat" was moving forward into its path. Result: one less pirate ship in the world. boo hoo.

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Sorry FANIE.
    Our govt hasn't got the GUTS to do that. :eek:

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

they are not pirates
    Im a little baffled by the moniker being applied to them
    nor are they really Eco terrorists as that implies a act against the environment
    what they are doing is called a citizens response and they actually have a legal right to directly interfere with an illegal activity by reasonable force if necessary
    its what covers me at the club if someone needs a little "help out the door" if you know what I mean
    as long as I dont actually hurt them its ok to physically eject them from a premises they have been asked to leave

oh
    Gonzo
    by international convention there is a moratorium on whale hunting

if someone has the statutes I'd be curious to read the actual wording
    but there are sanctuaries and there are territorial waters and no country signatory or not can fish in those areas any whale by both federal law and by international convention. On open waters its the international convention that has ( I think ) jurisdiction.

anyone have a link to the actual legal jargon handy

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

BS - Don't lay words in my mouth.

One of the philamons emptying our dustbins cut his hand. Do you think I can help him ? With a probable 80% rate here what are the chances... Orphants whose parients died are now advertised on tv - give so they can have a home and eat. No one tells the fcukcers to stop multiplying tho. Who pays ?

It is always very easy to dump responsibility elsewhere.

It's easier to put the sign by the roadside that warns 'potholes' than to fix the potholes. Any one getting killed when an accident is caused by the potholes of course exempt those that put the sign up from any responsibility.

This whole situation seems a bit like here in SA. While some wants to preserve the little that is left, others think it's their right to abuse and devour it. Afterwards when the paw-paw hits the fan and they have depleted whatever there is, then the consevationists gets blamed for not doing their job.

The same argument came out in the pirates thread. Preserve the pirates, don't hurt anyone. They will kill many many more and cost this little world a couple of bucks yet. Seems learning the hard way is the only way.

I wonder if the japs are allowed to whale hunt in US territorial waters.

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Sorry to hear that Oldsailor. Yes, there is a global paralysis that is creeping in every where.
    It is probably easier to hide under the blanket and prey the outcome won't be as bad.

11. hoytedow

If it is illegal, put an end to it. Don't take a sling shot to a gun fight. Fiberglass should avoid steel when possible. I saw no effort to mitigate damage. boo hoo. Get a bigger boat or a better law enforcement regime. Don't fly the skull and crossbones if you want to be a good guy. Just some thoughts.

12. hoytedow

Does the international convention have a navy or just a bunch of hotel rooms and a convention hall, or do they expect the job to fall to the U.S. Navy again?

13. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...as are all International Conventions, they only have meeting places, like bars, strip joints, saunas, restaurants etc, you do not really expect ploiticians and their follow ons to actually DO something do you hoytedow?

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The moratorium was not signed by all countries. It was only a political gesture without the force of Law. Attacking a ship on the high seas is an act of piracy.

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

land lubber
    you forgot the hookers

Gonzo Im not so sure about that if the person taking action is taking action against an illegal activity

I hang out at a couple of night clubs here in town and they are understaffed on bouncers, we kinda take care of our own. Once someone has been asked to leave its just about anything goes if your work there to remove them from the premises, if you dont work there then you can still throw the bum out but you are under some restrictions. Thing is if I have to hustle some fool out of there ( generally very entertaining by the way ) as long as I dont actually hurt them Im cool with Johny law. I may be way wrong but I'd think that same rule of thumb applies to international convention as well

ok I looked it up and the international law is not really open to interpretation

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ovuswhalelaws.htm

its an international treaty and as such is obligatory
    its law for all countries who signed
    now to go look up if Japan signed

ok
    yes they did
    and that is why they hunt claiming its for scientific research
    although they have not published any scientific papers directly related with the "research"
    therefor its an argument of semantics

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.