Outboards and Short Range Offshore

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JPigott, Dec 11, 2002.

1. JPigott

JPigott Junior Member

Just interested if anyone has answers to these questions.

It seems you see more offshore type outboard powered boats. I was just trying to address two issues.

1) how could the possibility of swamping the engine be reduced. I had planned to add a kicker rather than dual outboards but still with good seals how does the outboard run into trouble.

2) If I needed to back down on a larger fish what could be done to reduce waves coming over the stern. I considered trim and stern angle as well as (probably to complicated or causes other problems) a tiltable rear swim like deck?

Thanks in Advance.

JPigott

2. badges65

badges65 Junior Member

Hi,
    not much you can do.. you have to use long shaft motors which give a few more inches of height ..
    wouldnt try anything like a movable system prone to failure..
    when you have fish on you dont backup with outboards you have to work in a circle around the fish.. fishing off the quarter of the boat rather than over the stern !!!
    don

3. Timm

Timm Senior Member

If it is a center console, chase the fish in forward, fishing from the bow. It is alot safer for both you and the boat!

4. JPigott

JPigott Junior Member

Thanks guys!

5. Schoonertack

Schoonertack Junior Member

outboards

If I was to go offshore an outboard is a non issue with modern saltwater outboards. Backing down on a fish with two props wipping the water is very problematic. Tight lines and keep the fish forward, I know it takes some boat handling most outboards want to drift bow down wind, but just how far aft can you keep your lines when you stand forward of the outboard well with a good bend in a boat rod? I can't either!

6. JPigott

JPigott Junior Member

Schoonertack.

Thanks. One less thing to worry about. One more for consideration.

Bring the warmer weather!

JPigott

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.