Auxiliary outboard power to boat ratio

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by valvebounce, Jun 13, 2016.

1. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

I have a 14ft family speed boat,it is fairly light and can be lifted off the rollers on the trailer bow or stern with a little effort.The main outboard is a 18hp Evinrude(2 stroke)
    I have a 3.3hp Evinrude outboard that I would like to use as an auxiliary engine.
    Would there be enough power in it to use as an auxiliary?
    The boat will never be carrying much of a load,two people,and some fishing gear max.

2. The Q

The Q Senior Member

You don't say In what waters you'll be using it. Certainly on the Norfolk Broads that would be OK, as would it be on the lakes / reservoirs and very sheltered inshore waters near you. Against a strong river flow or at sea in anything but a flat calm it would be a little small.
    For just moving from fishing point to point on a lake or a little trolling it would be ideal.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Should work fine and push loads faster than you could row the boat.

For fishing most folks chose an electric trolling motor , ez start & stop & no exhaust stink.

4. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

Thanks for your replies guys,
    I will be using the boat for close inshore boat fishing.(North Wales coast)

I don't intend to use the engine for trolling etc,just as a backup.

Because I am getting past my sellby date,the lighter engine would be easier for me to handle if I have to bring it into operation.
    I have a 5hp Yamaha engine which is fairly light,but the 3.3 would be more convenient.
    I would choose the right weather and sea state to go out in it of course.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.