Our Favorite Quotes

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dskira, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

One more reason to follow the old adage.:p

"Use it up, wear it out. Make it do, or do without."

It saves having to deal with being 'previous owner,' if 'current owner' is the country landfill...

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Trust thyself only and another shall not betray thee.
    Thomas Fuller

3. bntii

bntii Senior Member

"All for one, one for all"

The Three Musketeers

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I don't recall

5. hoytedow

"It is wonderful to be back in Oregon," Obama said. "Over the last 15 months, we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go. Alaska and Hawaii, I was not allowed to go to even though I really wanted to visit, but my staff would not justify it."
    Barack Hussein Obama

6. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

When the going gets tougher, tougher gets going...

7. hoytedow

“To the mediocre, mediocrity appears great”
    Indian Proverb

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Of course, it's obvious he meant to say 47 of the fifty states. I'm amazed and amused every time someone brings up Obama's 57 states in an attempt to counter evidence of actual ignorance from their favorite politicos....

For example, Herman Cain in his announcement that he's running for President, where he went blathering on about the importance of reading our Constitution -- but repeatedly quoted or paraphrased the Declaration of Independence instead.:p

Or Michelle Bachmann, gushing about how proud the locals must be that the American Revolution started at their town of Concord in New Hampshire, when the actions took place at the Massachusetts Concord and Lexington-- towns which were within a day's march of Boston for the Redcoats.:confused:

Or Sarah Palin, carrying on about how Paul Revere rode through the countryside ringing those bells and firing those muskets, to warn the British not to mess with our right to bear arms.:rolleyes:

I'd be a lot happier about the Presidential candidates who are making jingoistic reverence for our history, our Founders and our Constitution a cornerstone of their campaigns, if any of them actually knew Jack !@#$. Instead, it's painfully obvious they have less actual knowledge of American history than they could have picked up by reading a few Classics Illustrated comic books.

9. hoytedow

All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree.
    James Madison

10. Dirteater

Dirteater Senior Member

"those who think they know bother the rest of us who do"
    my dad.

1 person likes this.
  11. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Green side up!

Other than the seemingly un-retractable position of my adversaries, imperialism seems to have gained a foothold. Empirical observations aside.

"[T]hose who think they know bother the rest of us who do"
    my dad.

Always trust your Dad -- who (as far as I can tell) had a great understanding of human nature. It's difficult to share -- but possible.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  12. graemery

graemery New Member

. . . nothing can quite compare with the exhilaration of tramping up a deserted mountainside to observe the folds and faults in the exposed rock, or with the joy of splitting open a boulder to find a crystal of garnet or a trilobite fossil that has never before been exposed to the daylight. - Dougal Dixon

Give me ambiguity, or give me something else! - Howard Hoffman (?)

13. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

"Outside of the military a belt sander with a 40 grit belt is as close to a Weapon of Mass Destruction most of us will ever get!" - Rick Laporte 2011

14. Surfszup

Surfszup Junior Member

"I saw a can said Pepsi Free and I said "That means it don't have Pepsi in it. That's a Coke." Hog futures; I heard that hogs don't have no future. Bacon is not a career." - Gallagher

15. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I don't usually discuss what happened the first time I turned loose with a floor sander and a 40 grit belt, to get rid of the paint on an old-growth Douglas fir floor in a 1920's hunting cabin in Tujunga, CA. Let's just say I was happy to find the planking strips were deeper than they were wide, because I had to take the floor down an embarrassing amount to get things flat and level again. And I was even happier that I was living by myself, and didn't have an audience.

My excuse is that I was young and dumb at the time. Of course, now I'm old and dumb... but that's a whole different discussion.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.